Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

98 Ford Taurus Alternator

Customer Question
How do you get the...
How do you get the alternator out of a Ford taurus 1998, 3.0 liter duritec, 24 valve, DOC engine?   Please help.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Car
8/29/2005
Auto Mechanic: Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician replied 12 years ago
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician

3.0L DOHC Engines

See Figure 10

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to General Information & Maintenance for this procedure.

3. Disengage the electrical harness connector and output terminal wiring.

4. Remove the engine control sensor nut and position the nut aside.

5. Unfasten the two alternator bolts and one alternator stud bolt.

6. Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Place the alternator into position and install the two mounting bolts and bolt stud. Tighten the bolts and stud bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).

2. Place the engine control sensor in position and install its retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 11-14 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).

3. Attach the electrical harness connector and output terminal wiring. Tighten the output wiring terminal retaining nut to 80-106 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm).

4. Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to General Information & Maintenance for this procedure.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Exploded view of the alternator mounting-3.0L and DOHC engines (3.4L DOHC engines similar)

Reply to Hammer Time's Post: The alternator is on the bottom of the motor and not even on the same side of the care as the battery? This is a 24 valve, DOC engine.
Hammertime are you there?
Those instructions were listed as for a DOHC 24 vlave 3.0.
Can you remove the cooling fan and come out the top?
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: Evidently you don't know about this motor. Took the care to a Ford Tech and the front axel has to come off to get the alternator off.

Thanks anyway!
I merely forwarded the published instructions that were available. I can't remember every vehicle and every engine out there. I relied on the info to be accurate, obviously it was not. Sorry.
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician