Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1993 FORD: DISC BRAKES ON THE REAR..PARKING BRAKE..DIAGRAM SHOWING

Customer Question
I HAVE A 1993 FORD...
I HAVE A 1993 FORD CROWN VIC WITH DISC BRAKES ON THE REAR AND I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE MANUAL ADJUSTMENT FOR PARKING BRAKE IS AND ALSO WOULD LIKE A DIAGRAM SHOWING WHERE ADJUSTMENT IS
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2005
Auto Mechanic: Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician replied 12 years ago
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician

Since the caliper and rear brake pads work as both the regular brakes and the parking brake, it should never need adjusting once initially set up. Here are the instructions to set it up.

1990-94 Vehicles

The following procedure is to be used only if a new parking brake control assembly is installed. All components of the parking brake system must be installed prior to the adjustment procedure. The parking brake control with automatic tensioning is preset by means of a shipping clip. The following procedure must be followed in sequence and must be done with the vehicle weight on the axle.

1. Verify removal of the shipping clip. The take-up reel will apply tension to the system.

2. Depress the parking brake control to the 8th notch.

3. Push the parking brake control pedal to release.

4. Check the parking brake function as follows:

1. Apply the parking brake with a full stroke, to the 9th or 10th notch.

2. Release the parking brake by shifting the vehicle into a forward gear with the engine running. The control must release.

3. Apply the parking brake with a full stroke, to the 9th or 10th notch.

4. Manually release the parking brake with the push-to-release feature.

5. With the control in the OFF position, the rear brakes must not drag. Check for movement of the rear cables from their conduits when the intermediate cable is deflected with a force of 10-15 lbs.

I gave you the instructions for the parking brake for that vehicle.
MY 1993 FORD CROWN VICTORIA PARKING BRAKE HAS THIER OWN BRAKE SHOES. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REPLACE THEM AND ADJUST THEM. YOUR ANSWER TO MY OTHER QUESTION DID NOT HELP ME WHAT SO EVER. PLEASE HELP ME. THANK YOU
WHAT ABOUT HTE BRAKE SHOES FOR THE PARKING BRAKES DO I HAVE TO REPLACE THEM?
Not unless somebody drove around with them on and ruined them. They rarely have to be changed. You may have a broken cable somewhere. Check all 3 cables for damage.
ALL CABLES ARE WORKING. WHEN THE CAR IS JACKED UP I APPLIED THE PARKING BRAKE THE TIRES LOCKED UP. WHEN I RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES THE TIRES WILL TURN FREELY. WHEN I LET THE CAR ON THE GROUND THE PARKING BRAKE WILL NOT HOLD. THE CABLES WORK FINE AND THE SHOES LOOK FINE. THERE APPEARS TO BE AN ADJUSTMENT ON THE PARKING BRAKE SHOES. CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO ADJUST IT. WHEN I PUT CAR IN REVERSE WITH PARKING BRAKE ON I GO BACKWARDS AND THE BRAKE DOES NOT RELEASE UNTIL I PUT CAR IN DRIVE
I have already given you the procedure
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician