Car

1993 Ford F150: The A/C Compressor..seized..blown..step instructions…

Customer Question
The A/C Compressor on a...
The A/C Compressor on a 1993 Ford F150 Truck seized up. I know how to take off and install new compressor but my question is: Should the lines somehow be cleaned or blown out due to trash in the system? Can you supply step-by-step instructions for this change out of the compressor(like I mentioned earlier for the lines)... Read full answer
The A/C Compressor on a 1993 Ford F150 Truck seized up. I know how to take off and install new compressor but my question is: Should the lines somehow be cleaned or blown out due to trash in the system? Can you supply step-by-step instructions for this change out of the compressor(like I mentioned earlier for the lines)
Submitted: 14 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2005
Auto Mechanic: Steve, Auto Service Technician replied 14 years ago
Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician

When a compressor fails, it is very important to determine the cause of the original failure and to make sure none of the debris that has been spread throughout the system makes its way back to the new compressor or restricts refrigerant flow at any point in the system, or you will very quickly have a repeat failure.

If you read the information that came with your new compressor, you will probably find that the receiver/ drier and the expansion device (orfice tube) MUST be replaced to keep the compressor warranty in effect; the reason for this is that these components are where a large amount of the debris ends up in the system. In addition, often the condenser must be replaced also, as compressor debris is often wedged under high pressure into the tubes, where it cannot be removed and will result in restricted flow of refrigerant and resulting lack of lubricant circulation.

Years ago we used to use refrigerant to flush the remaining components in the system;since this is now illegal without a recirculating refrigerant flush machine, manufacturers now recommend installing an inline filter in the liquid line to catch any debris remaining in the system instead of flushing. Manufacturers of most compressors specifically recommend not usiing any type of flush solvents to try to clean a contaminated system; it is impossible to remove all traces of tehse solvents and they will cause breakdown of the refrigerant oil if any traces remain after repair. You will likely find this in the literature that came with your compressor also...

Now, finding the reason for the initial compressor failure to prevent a recurrence:

The most common reason for a compressor to fail is lack of lubrication, and the most common reasons for lack of lubrication are (1) operating the system for extended periods of tim,e with a low refrigerant charge, and (2) use of incorrect refrigerants or lubricants in the system.

The refrigerant circulates oil to keep the compressor lubricated. Your truck is designed to use Refrigerant-12 (Freon), and the refrigeration oil used with R-12 is mineral oil based. If this is what you are using, then the likely cause of the initial failure was a chronic low charge level resulting in lack of oil circulation. On ford trucks, this id often due to leakage at the spring-lock fittings used at the line couplings; be sure to reseal all of tehse with new O-rings of the proper material and new garter springs while the system is empty. Ford products of this vintage would occasionally experience a condition known as "black death". If you find any black gooey deposits anywhere in the system, it is due to the rubber hose material degrading; and the hoses will need to be replaced to prevent a repeat failure. If you do not do this, the compressor WILL fail again. Make sure you add the specified amount of new refrigeration oil to each component, install a new orfice tube, drier, inline filter kit, and condenser and you are ready to evacuate and recharge with the proper amount of R-12. If you follow this procedure, the system will be as cold as a new one and will last the lifetime of the truck. Expensive? yes; but there really arent any places to cut corners here if you want the job to last. Installing a new $400 compressor and $200 worth of freon only to have it leak or fail again is an expensive waste of hard earned money...

The picture becomes more complicated if someone has attempted to "convert" the system to R134 refrigerant. Very often, this is what caused the compressor failure. R-134a is NOT a direct drop-in replacement for R-12 despite what some people will try to make you believe. Ford and other OE manufacturers have specific retrofit procedures to convert an R-12 system to operate on R-134a, which vary by vehicle. usually the retrofit procedure and parts kit includes new drier (R134 and R12 use different dessicant materials inside the drier); new orfice tube or expansion valve (R12 and R134a boil at different pressures and require different size orfice tubes to reach minimum temperature); different hoses (R134a systems use a barrier hose with a plastic inner liner; R134a will seep through the walls of the hose used in R-12 systems); different condensers (R134 systems use condensers with more tubes and greater surface area), different O-rings (R134 uses blue or green colored nitrile o-ring materials, the black rubber o-rings used in R-12 systems will not keep R134a in); and often different compressors (some compressor seal materials used in R-12 systems are not compatible with R134a). When a system is converted properly, the mineral oil in the system is supposed to be drained from each component, as it will settle out and take up space that should be occupied by refrigerant . R-134 will not carry and circulate mineral oil; a specific amount and type of synthetic PAG lubricant MUST be added to the system to keep teh compressor lubricated or it will quickly fail. There are many different types and viscosities of PAG used in AC systems, with different lubrication qualitied; it is extremely critical that the specific PAG oil for whatever compressor you are installing be used; an incorrect PAG oil that is not compatible with the materials used in your compressor will not lubricate adequately. Never install any kind of ester oil; there are NO OE manufacturers who have approved any kind of ester oil for use in their systems as far as I am aware.

If you are converting the sytem to R134a because of inability to obtain R12, you should replace all components specified in the manufacturer's procedure. There is a reason for each component; failure to follow the recommendations will likely result in insufficient cooling, chronic leakage, or reduced compressor life. Expensive? yes, but the alternative is possibly wasting money on installing a compressor in a system that will not work well and/or have a very short lifespan. I will see if I can locate and post for you the recommended retrofit component list for your truck as specified by Ford Motor Company.

I hope this answers your question; you will probably hear 10 different opinions on the subject from 10 different mechanics. What I am posting here for you is the result of many years of experience in the A/C field and a lot of lessons learned the hard way. I am going to post you a couple of Ford Motor company technical service bulletins to back up what I have related here; just so you know I am not trying to convince you to buy a lot of unnecessary parts. Sure, you can cut corners; but each corner that is cut comes at a price; often the price is a repeat failure and resulting wasted money that is not covered under any warranty. My intention is to make you aware of the correct procedure to repair you truck so that it will be cold and will last a normal life expectancy.

I hope this information is useful to you; if so, please click my accept button! thanks!

Here is the Ford TSB listing the retrofit components required to convert your truck to R-134a refrigerant. As you can see, the conversion kit for your truck cost $600 when the TSB was published in 1998, and includes a different condenser, different fan and fan clutch, an air deflector kit, different drier, high pressure sutout switch and wiring to prevent compressor damage from the high head pressures that can occur when using R134a, and other misc. components.

Article No.
98-4-8

03/02/98

AIR CONDITIONING - R-12 TO R-134A RETROFIT KIT AVAILABILITY - VEHICLES WITH FACTORY
INSTALLED A/C ONLY

FORD:
1986-93 CROWN VICTORIA, TAURUS, THUNDERBIRD
1988-93 ESCORT, FESTIVA, MUSTANG, TEMPO
1989-93 PROBE

LINCOLN-MERCURY:
1986-92 MARK VII
1986-93 COUGAR, GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE, TOWN CAR
1987-93 TRACER
1988-93 CONTINENTAL, TOPAZ

LIGHT TRUCK:
1986-93 AEROSTAR
1988-90 BRONCO II
1988-93 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES, RANGER
1991-93 EXPLORER
1993 VILLAGER

MEDIUM/HEAVY TRUCK:
1985-91 CL-9000
1985-94 L SERIES
1985-95 F SERIES
1989-94 CARGO SERIES

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include the latest level parts.

ISSUE:
This TSB article announces the Ford OEM air conditioning retrofit kit availability. Retrofit kits convert R-12 air conditioning systems to operate on R-134a refrigerant. All Ford kits are designed for specific vehicles and offer equivalent performance to the original R-12 system.

ACTION:
When a consumer inquires about a retrofit kit, refer to the following Charts to see it a kit is available from Ford. If the vehicle is not listed, a kit is not available from Ford.

The Chart identifies which components are included in each kit for the purpose of providing repair estimates. Ford recommends the use of R-12 in R-12 A/C systems as long as it is available and cheaper then retrofitting to R-134a. Ford does not recommend the use of any refrigerant other than R-134a or R-12.

NOTE : THE REMOVAL OF MINERAL OIL DURING THE RETROFIT IS NOT REQUIRED UNLESS NOTED UNDER THE "FLUSHING PROCEDURE" COLUMN (M) IN THE CHARTS FOUND IN THIS TSB ARTICLE. THE POLYALKYLENE GLYCOL (PAG), SUPPLIED IN EACH KIT, MUST BE ADDED WITH R-134a. PAG OIL, MINERAL OIL AND R-134a CAN BE MIXED TOGETHER IN THE A/C SYSTEM WITHOUT CAUSING DAMAGE.

NOTE : HFC-134a IS THE ONLY CFC-12 (R-12) REPLACEMENT REFRIGERANT APPROVED BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY.

Detailed service procedure instructions are provided with each retrofit kit.

Heading definitions for lettered columns found in the following chants:

^
A = Condenser

^
B = Compressor

^
C = Accumulator

^
D = Engine Fan and Clutch

^
E = Electric Fan

^
F = Air Deflectors

^
G = Control Module

^
H = Suction Hose

^
J = Condenser-To-Compressor Discharge Hose

^
K = Orifice Tube

^
L = Miscellaneous

^
M = Flushing Procedures

Miscellaneous kit items for all systems include: Cycling Pressure Switch (CPS), CPS adapter, Refrigerant Containment Switch (RCS), RCS wiring harness assembly, RCS adapter, low side service port adapter, high side charge port adapter, PAG oil, and retrofit label. Flushing was still done back then but is no longer a recommended practice.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 95-10-16

SUPERSEDES: 96-20-9

WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES: 205000, 208000, 208200, 208999

Here is an updated TSB for your truck stating that an inline filter kit must be installed to catch compressor debris remaining in the system inistead of the previously recommended flushing procedure, along with teh part # XXXXX the filter kit.

Article No.
98-12-5

06/22/98

AIR CONDITIONING - FILTERING REFRIGERANT
AFTER A/C COMPRESSOR REPLACEMENT -
SERVICE TIPS

LIGHT TRUCK:
1980-96 BRONCO
1980-97 F SUPER DUTY
1980-98 ECONOLINE, F-150, F-150, F-350
1983-98 RANGER
1984-90 BRONCO II
1986-97 AEROSTAR
1988-97 F-47
1991-98 EXPLORER
1993-98 VILLAGER
1995-98 WINDSTAR
1997-98 EXPEDITION, MOUNTAINEER
1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to revise the Service Procedure and to update the model years.

ISSUE
Vehicles that have and inoperative A/C compressor, due to internal causes, MUST have the refrigerant system cleaned to remove any debris or contaminants that may be present to prevent damage to the replacement compressor.

ACTION
Install a Service Filter Kit in the refrigerant system prior to installing the replacement compressor. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

SUPERSEDES: 96-15-5

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage For 1992-99 Models And 1991 Lincolns, Basic Warranty Coverage For All Other Models And Major Component Warranty Coverage For All Other Lincoins

OPERATION       DESCRIPTION                     TIME

981205A Kit Installation 1.2 Hrs.

981205B Extra Time For Refrigerant 0.4 Hr.
(R-12) Recovery

DEALER CODING
                                   CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
19703 49

OASIS CODES: 208000, 208999

Here is a TSB listing an updated amount and the correct type and part # XXXXX refrigerant oil to use to prevent compressor failures:

Article No.
97-10-5

05/12/97

^
AIR CONDITIONING - COMPRESSOR FAILURE - INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF REFRIGERANT OIL

^
AIR CONDITIONING - LACK OF COOLING - INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF REFRIGERANT OIL MAY CAUSE COMPRESSOR FAILURE

1993-97 F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit air conditioner compressor failure due to an insufficient amount of refrigerant oil in the system.

ACTION:
Whenever service is required on the A/C system, add the appropriate refrigerant oil to the system. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

NOTE :USE MOTORCRAFT YN-9 REFRIGERANT COMPRESSOR OIL FOR 1993 MODELS EQUIPPED WITH AN R-12 SYSTEM. FOR 1994 AND LATER MODELS USING AN R-134a SYSTEM, USE MOTORCRAFT YN-12-B POLYALKYLENE GLYCOL (PAG) REFRIGERANT COMPRESSOR OIL.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.
Remove all refrigerant from the A/C system using the appropriate R-12 or R-134a refrigerant recovery equipment following the manufacturer's operating instructions.

2.
Service the A/C system as required.

Check for Modification Label indicating additional refrigerant oil is already in place.

4.
If no label was found, add additional clean refrigerant oil (over and above the amount of oil required for the system being serviced). The oil may be poured directly into the accumulator assembly or it may be injected by the refrigerant charging station, if so equipped.

5.
Recharge the A/C system using the appropriate refrigerant.

Obtain an Authorized Modification Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

PART NUMBER                   PART NAME

YN-9 Refrigerant Oil (R-12 Systems)
YN-12-B Refrigerant Oil (R-134a Systems)

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a 2007 Range Rover HSE and I'm trying to replace the
I have a 2007 Range Rover HSE and I'm trying to replace the air compressor and I'm just wondering I can't get the last bolt that holds the compressor snug to the engine? So is there a trick to getting… read more
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Owner,
KIA Sedona 2004 R/R A/C compressor how do I get at the compressor
KIA Sedona 2004 R/R A/C compressor how do I get at the compressor to remove it.do I have to remove alt? ect. out the top or bottom of motor.… read more
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Tim\u0027s Auto Repair
Mechanic,
my a/c compressors keep going out each time its for a differant
my a/c compressors keep going out each time its for a differant reason , this time it leaked oil, last time it was the clutch the time before i dont even remember. I replaced the cooling fan on last t… read more
Retired,
N/A
Stop searching for answers—
Compressor..it at home with simple tools and a A/C recharge kit
I have an A/C Compressor that needs to be replaced. Is it possible to replace it at home with simple tools and a A/C recharge kit? If not what will I need?… read more
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy
Automotive Electrician,
2003 Cadillac CTS...A/C no longer cold....Makes loud ticking
2003 Cadillac CTS...A/C no longer cold....Makes loud ticking noise when turned on and draws on the engine very noticably… read more
Master Mechanic,
My mother-in-laws a/c compressor on her 99 buick ...
My mother-in-law''s a/c compressor on her 99 buick lesabre isnt working. Both fuses look ok, so i am thinking it is compressor itself. Am i correct and if i am, can i get some directions on what i nee… read more
Shawn
Shawn
Lead Diagnostics Tech,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1994 LeSabre: a intermitent clicking noise..idling..hood..alternator
Have a 1994 LeSabre 3.8, there is a intermitent clicking noise when idling. Opened hood and the clicking is coming from the part on the belt system that is to the lower right of the alternator. The pa… read more
Geordie
Geordie
Mobile Mechanic,
Ceritficate of Pre-Vocational Educa
Chevy Tahoe Z71: 4x4..the AC not cooling untill I..hood..goes away
I have a 03'' Chevy Tahoe Z71 4x4 and I keep having trouble with the AC not cooling untill I actully start getting the car moving. I have had the Compressor replaced 3 times and the same thing keeps h… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
I have a 2002 Yukon Denali XL and a few days ago I ...
I have a 2002 Yukon Denali XL and a few days ago I noticed a rattling noise on acceleration. This noise is only heard while the Air conditioner is on. If the ac is off the noice goes away. Is there a … read more
scottyfum
scottyfum
yukon: ac..accelerating..electronic clutch on compressor
i have a 03 yukon and when ac is on and accelerating the tensioner pully bounces around making a loud noise and thowing the belt. I have replaced the tensioner and the electronic clutch on compressor … read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
van..sound dealership reccomends cylinder piston clean (not covered
2004 wifes van conversion has knocking sound dealership reccomends cylinder piston clean (not covered under warrenty) only 300 miles left under warrenty and im worried this problem runs deeper and the… read more
Bob
Bob
1999 Jetta: remove the glove box but miffed at how to remove the box
I am trying to replace the evaporator in my 1999 Jetta. I have remove the glove box but miffed at how to remove the box that encases the evaporator to remove it. Could you kindly render some assistanc… read more
Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith
Owner,
Technical
Stop searching for answers—
Compressor..replaced due..(metal shavings and oil contamination)
if my compressor was replaced 1 month ago and now the same compressor needs to be replaced due to "contamination" (metal shavings and oil contamination), is the shop liable for the repair due to impro… read more
Steve
Steve
Auto Service Technician,
My alternator is bad, there is not enough room to take it out so what
My alternator is bad, there is not enough room to take it out so what do I do to manuver the engine to make room to take it out?… read more
Max
Max
VW lead technician,
My low side guage goes..replaced expansion valves 3 times.
My low side guage goes into a vacuum. I have replaced expansion valves 3 times. My guages continue to go into a vacuum. I have changed from r12 to 134a. My car is a 1993 toyota camry, 6 cylinder. I ha… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
95 Dodge Dakota Sport: an air conditioning compressor..freon..kit
What steps must be taken to replace an air conditioning compressor on a '95 Dodge Dakota Sport pick-up truck? Can the truck be moved to a location to have the freon replaced without harming the new co… read more
JONATHAN
JONATHAN
JAGUAR/LAND ROVER SHOP FOREMAN,
1995 ford taurus GL: COMPRESSOR..3.0 V-6 MOTOR..DISCONNECTING..NEW ONE
I NEED TO REPLACE THE A/C COMPRESSOR ON A 1995 FORD TARUS GL, WITH THE 3.0 V-6 MOTOR. IS THERE A STEP BY STEP SET OF DIRECTIONS OUT THERE. I DON TWANT TO WASTE A BUNCH OF TIME DISCONNECTING AND RECONN… read more
Hammer Time
Hammer Time
Mastertech,
1993 Mazda: tune..ran great..awhile..truck was running rough at times
I did a tune up and my 1993 Mazda truck ran great for awhile; I noticed gas dripping and inspected and found the gas feeder line was rusted out. Also by now occasional the truck was running rough at t… read more
Davo
Davo
Master Auto Tech/manager of auto shop,