Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I am trying to figure out what I need to connect my Clarion…

I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out what I need to connect my Clarion NX500 car stereo with the (per Clarion Manual) Sirius Satellite Tuner Sc-c1. Everything tells me it will plug right into the back of the NX500. I removed the stereo, and the spot for the sat radio to plug into, has a connection like you would find in the back of an older computer. Like a CAT-6 or something similar. The cable that is with the Sirius antenna is round and is an 8 pin connector.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your NX500 unit?

I really am not sure. I bought this truck used the other day and it was already in there.

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your NX500?

I looked in the manual, and it says it required the Sirious Connect Vehicle Tuner SCC1. So I got one of those, removed the radio today to connect and found it has a different connection on the back of the radio.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Wondering if there is an adaptor or something that will connect the 8 pin from the Sirius tuner and the back of the NX500

3/25/2018
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Car Electronics Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is a system automated prompt , not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

That unit should have a harness that plugs into that 8 pin that converts it to your satellite connection, if you dont have it with the unit you can get one from the manufacture

I have the Sirius SCC1 Tuner and Antenna. That came with the 8 pin connecting cable. Both ends are identical. In looking in the Clarion NX500 manual (which tells me the SCC1 tuner is what it required) I see there the Sat Radio is supposed to plug into. When I removed the radio today, and looked at the back of it. It does not have any place for an 8 pin plug. It is more like a Cat-5 Ethernet Patch cable end. It isn't exactly one of those, but looks similar.

can you send a picture of the rear connections and what you have?

I can send a pic of the manual, but I already put the radio back in the vehicle.

I have the manual, I just need to see what your looking at, maybe its a different model, they pop out easy can you tke it back out?

Not at this time, I am not able to take it back out.
I found somewhere that someone had an answer that I will need a Clarion CLA-SC1 interface to make it work. I am guessing the NX500 is a bit older, and these things are no longer made, so Ebay is only option. I can do that, but I can not see in any pics of the Clarion CLA-SC1 interface that it comes with a cable with the proper ends.
It is for sure a Clarion NX500. It does say that on the front of the radio.
Let me run out there and see if I can get it out quickly. I have some timing issues going on but I will try, and hope it helps my question. How would I get the pic to you?

you can send it on here using the paperclip or add files button. no worries on time this question lasts as as long as we need to get the situation fixed and could last over a number of days, it doesn’t cost any extra per question or time limit, just the one fee and thats it.

Here are 3 pics. One of the back of the radio. Had to take it upside down. I marked it with an arrow to where the sat radio is supposed to connect. One is of the top with info, that may or may not be helpful. And one is page 60 of the Clarion manual showing where to connect. I did notice on the manual that is almost looks like there is another cable that is needed to convert from an 8 pin to what ever type is on the back of the radio.

yes that cable you have highlighted is the one I was talking about earlier, if you dont have that one you will have to order it from clarion or online

would that cable have came with the radio when it was new?

it should have yes

that cable will click into the back of the radio, with the other end being a "female" 8 pin that will then connect to the "male" 8 pin that came with the Sirius tuner?

yes

Ok...that makes sense. I am guessing whom ever had the vehicle at the time they installed the radio, did not want sat radio and threw it away, or at the least does not have it now. Any way you would know what that cable is called or a part number for it? I know that is a long shot.

give me a min I will see if I can locate that for you

that would be great. thank you

ok so this was a specific turner that clarion had to make specially for that radio, its not available new anymore and you can only get it used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-CD-SB10-Sirius-XM-Satellite-Radio-Adapter-For-SCC1-CDSB10-FREE-SHIPPING/202269956232?epid=2255952090&hash=item2f183a9888:g:LHEAAOSwYNxaZSjL

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Thank you. So even though the adaptor is Pioneer, it will work with Clarion NX500?

correct, but for the age of everything that 65 could put a good dent in some new equipment , that head unit is 8 years old, so thats something to think about as well

Oh wow....8 years old. Yeah, I will have to figure out if I want to put any more into this one or go with a new one. Thank you for your help.

your very welcome

TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Car Electronics Technician

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.