Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I installed a Kenwood DNX893S 893s into my Nissan Rogue but…

I installed a Kenwood...

I installed a Kenwood DNX893S 893s into my Nissan Rogue but it won’t turn on. All I get is the red flashing anti theft. I checked the 15 amp fuse in the radio and it’s good

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your DNX893S unit?

I just bought it and installed it today. It was purchased new

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your DNX893S?

I checked the fuse but that’s about it

3/25/2018
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Car Electronics Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is a system automated prompt , not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Did you get a aftermarket harness for the vehicle to go to radio?

Have you checked power and ground at harness?

Does vehicle start?

I got aftermarket harness and had Crutchfield wire it.
Car starts
I have not checked power but do have a multimeter

ok so that will be the next step to see if its a radio or power problem, can you get one?

I have a multimeter but am not sure how to check for power on a harness. I’m assuming I would unhook from the back of the radio and use probes but they don’t fit into the openings on the harness...also which wires are power?

red and yellow are power and black is ground and you can back prob the back of the harness at the vehicle side or radio side

I proved the yellow wire and put the black probe on the radio and got 12.14vdcI did same with red and get nothing
The red wire splits from the harness. One goes to another harness back to the car and the split wire goes to a steering wheel control unit. That unit has a harness plugged into it and has what looks like a right angle plug. That plug is not plugged in anywhere in the radio. It is right angle and looks like a headphone jack

can you send pictures of the harness ?

Sure.Pic of harness
Pic of red wire split
Pic of steering wheel control where second red wire goes
Pic of plug
A8E77785-6E45-41E7-A348...jpegA8E777...jpeg87E8281F-FF2B-4330-A073...jpeg87E828...jpegA9A25593-9EF3-4CEA-941B...jpegA9A255...jpeg0300AD07-1EE9-4A58-AE10...jpeg0300AD...jpeg

ok reviewing now be right back

ok what year is that rouge and did it have bose radio or base model head unit ?

2017. Base model head unit

ok check 30 16 14 and 7 in the interior fuse panel

ok my schematics are just giving me numbers and its not lining up, best thing to do is check each one with your meter, one of those should be blown

that red wire should have power

Ok. It’s gonna be awhile

ok sounds good ill be around

I just finished checking all 30+ fuses and they all have continuity

if you follow red back to the vehicle harness and unplug and check does it have power?

I can’t get a reading. The holes are too small on the plug and wire holes too small for probes on the back

if you have a sewing needs or T pin those work great

To be honest at this point I’m going to put the old radio back in and call it a night. I appreciate your help

no worries if you want to work on it tomorrow ill be on after 12

I just installed the factory radio back and it works perfectly. I assume that means it’s either the harness or bad radio...right?

that would be correct

TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Car Electronics Technician