Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

Just bought a pioneer deck, it won't turn on.. when I plug…

Just bought a pioneer...

Just bought a pioneer deck, it won't turn on.. when I plug the oem deck back in, it works fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What Pioneer model do you have?

Fhs501bt

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pioneer unit?

Nothing; brand new out of box from store..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

My constant power is jumping on my volt meter

3/24/2018
Louie, Car Electronics Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...pioneer deck..."

Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

I replaced the 30a fuse under the good for my radio... my constant power keeps jumping

I understand.

(even if just) For test purposes, have you tried / can you try hardwiring the yellow wire directly to the battery's + terminal?

And ensure that the black wire is tied to the vehicle's body ground and not only to/through the harness ground line?

No, I have been trying to figure our why I don't have constant power.. my yellow wire (from harness to dash) is jumping from 0 to 34v, it jumps and drops instantaneously, and repeats

As posted above; ..."can you try?"

This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

I have not; I live I the middle of no where, and don't have any speaker wire to make a test jumper

I understand.

Can you try pulling out the Pioneer and benchtest; i.e. carefully wire directly the red and yellow wires to a battery's + terminal while the black to the - terminal? observe polarity

By process of elimination, this would allow checking of the FH-S501BT to ensure that it powers on as expected.

This would also confirm that it is a vehicle wiring concern and not a Pioneer issue.

I will try that
I carefully did the bench test, first with the vehicle off, and then running. No response from the unit at all

The vehicle on or off should have no effect if the Pioneer is correctly wired directly to the battery's terminals.

Have you checked/replaced the FH-S501BT's 10A fuse at the back?

The 10a fuse is in perfect condition, I made sure to check it

IF the FH-S501BT's red and yellow wires are directly connected to the battery's + terminal and the black wire to the - terminal, THEN the Pioneer should work as expected.

IF not and with the "...10a fuse is in perfect condition...", THEN it would be an internal hardware issue with the FH-S501BT

I suppose it's back to canadian tire tomorrow for a refund

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Your information was awesome, I was creating incredibly frustrated with the head unit; I have installed several of them in my vehicles over the years, and never encountered this type of problem