Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Cadillac CTS and wanted to know what are the…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Cadillac...
I have a 2007 Cadillac CTS and wanted to know what are the best suggestions on subwoofers for trunks. I have researched and found that Rockford and Power Acoustics are pretty good, but I would like to know your opinion on these two and if you have any recommendations on the setup as far as what type of amps and cables would be needed for installation.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
3/25/2018
Car Electronics Technician: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
This question is nearly impossible for somebody over the internet to answer and I'll get into why a little bit.The main thing is that a lot of it is up to personal preference, yes Rockford Fosgate is a really good company and you can't go wrong with them, however there's so many different subwoofer sizes and each brand has pluses and minuses like some Brands hit harder down low but aren't as clear with high bass notes, song Hit really hard but they aren't well-defined, for rap music that's fine but for rock music that's not good.A large part of what makes a subwoofer sound good is the speaker box and whether it's a bandpass box or sealed.And then again amp depends on what size sub you have what type of music you listen to and as does the cables.If you listen to mostly rock music you probably would be okay with even one 8 inch sub, techno you may want on or two tens because they hit harder than 8 and are more clear than a 12.So I guess let's start with what type of music do you listen to most, and how much base are you trying to get, are you willing to basically make your trunk useless or do you need to maintain some functionality?
I listen to hip hop, Spanish, rock, techno. I was thinking of getting the speakers mounted on the sides of the trunk with plexiglass that way my trunk space isn't taken away. Either 10in or 12in
I would probably go with tens as well because they're going to suit the rock music and techno music better with their cleaner bass. If you do get them mounted to the side, you won't get nearly as much out of them due to the fact that there's last volume of air in that area. What some people do is get rid of the spare tire and put them down in the spare tire well under the trunk mat.So as far as the amp goes the better brand of an amp you get the closer to what it's rated at as far as wattage it's going to be.For example a thousand watt Phoenix Gold amp is basically a thousand Watts or close to.1000 W junkie Walmart brand may only put out 700 Watts.So you basically look at the max wattage that those subs are rated for and get an amp pushing a little more than the combined wattage of the two, it's easier to turn the gain down on the amp based on how they sound.That also leaves you room to upgrade the subs at some point as well.A ported bandpass box will give you the best sound and loudest as well.And then just make sure you have a deck that has subwoofer control as well.If I've answered your questions to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way the site will compensate me.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after accepting.