Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

How would I perform an amp clamp test on my kicker warhorse?

Customer Question
Amps x volt = watts...
How would I perform an amp clamp test on my kicker warhorse? Amps x volt = watts. But this unique amp, I don't think it is the same as an ordinary amp
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
3/23/2018
Car Electronics Technician: Dan, Car Electronics Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Car Electronics Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

W​hat exactly are you trying to figure out? How many amps it is pulling? How to set gain? Ect. Thanks.

How to get RMS watts. Amps x volts = watts. I just clamped all three power wired and got 185 amps and I have volts of 13.1 so my watts is multiply those together and I have 2400 rms watts. I don't think this is right though, is this measurement don't correctly taking the measurements off the power and ground wires (3 on each side) or do they need to be taken at the connector for the sub outputs? And...if 2400 is correct then do I multiply this x 2 since the amp is split internally 50/50% ?

It sounds like you are trying to figure out how to match gain to subwoofers?

No. That's not what I'm trying to do. I have a dsp for all my gains and settings. Like I said I'm trying to verify I'm correct with doing an amp clamp test to calculate total RMS wattage at the outputs.

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to dig up equation.

You will want to take the voltage going to speakers and multiply it by itself then divide it by the number of ohms setup is. So a example would be monitoring voltage going to speaker. If voltage was 50 then multiply 50x50=2500 then divide that by the 2 ohm load...so 2500/2=1250 which would be rms wattage speaker is getting at that point. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I just did another test @ 32hz. I took the volts at one side of the push/pull design amp connector output and got 90 volts on AC. I took the amp clamp test at all three power wires coming to the input and got 94 amps. Should the volt check be done via AC or DC on a kicker warhorse amp? And if your saying the divide the total number by ohm I'm wired at 3 ohm and not 2ohm. But won't the ohm load be changing anyways due to box rise (which changes all the time per frequency and volume) doesn't seem like ÷ by ohm is correct

Voltage going to speakers should be AC voltage at speaker. So if you got 90 then you would go 90x90=8100/3 would be 2700 watts rms at that volume.

I​'ve never messed with a amplifier that big and am not familir with the term "box rise" but that calculation has always worked with me on everything I've worked on but I haven't installed amps over 2000 watts.