Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I changed out my wife's Volvo radio since it failed. I

I changed out my wife's...
I changed out my wife's Volvo radio since it failed. I thought a new unit might fix the bad speaker problem but it didn't so I now get to deal with the speakers having determined the radios are not at fault. Even with the fader and balance set to the front left door and dash speakers I can barely hear anything. I find it hard to believe that both the door and dash speakers are both blown so is this perhaps a case of wires being switched? From my experience you might get a less then perfect sound but not virtually a 99% drop in volume. I'm open to suggestions as to what to look for.
3/10/2018
ebrock63
ebrock63, automotive shop manager/tech

HI,

Ok, on the back of your radio, does it have one connector with 11 wires or 2 connectors, one with 8 wires and one with 13 wires

one connector with 11 plus 3 more for muting, antenna control and steering remote control wire so 14.

HI,

Ok, there should be a separate amplifier.

They had 1 audio unit with 2 connectors that had an integrated amp, and then 1 audio unit with 1 connector that had a separate amp.

The amp is behind the dash to the left of the steering column. I am trying to see if I have a diagram of its location

Don't modern audio units have their own amp? We have to expect the amp on an old car to last?

HI,

It is about half and half. The higher end audio units have a separate amp.This is still applicable in brand new vehicles. All that have Infiniti, JBL, Bose high end factory audio systems will have a separate amp.

Based upon symptoms, I suspect some of the amp channels have failed.

It is a strange situation in the radio compartment. There are those classic clear plastic home speaker wires and the big plug there has been bypassed, not used. just the power wires. Did Volvo use traditional speaker wire?
I need to dig out the old amp. Then what, find one in a wreck or replace it with a modern one that's compatible to the new Kenwood I bought?
I need to dig out the old amp. Then what, find one in a wreck or replace it with a modern one that's compatible to the new Kenwood I bought? This is not an expensive model of Kenwood. Under $100

No. Someone has altered the factory setup. This means that they may have eliminated the factory amp, or that they installed an upgraded amp at some point.

You need to see if there is an amp behind the dash on the left side. Because it has likely been altered, I would also check behind the trim panels in the trunk and underneath the driver seat. These are normal places people install aftermarket amps.

If no amp, then let me know and will have to try and figure out the wiring at that point

With a new Kenwood unit, you can install an amp that is compatible with it.

It's a station wagon.
Maybe bypass the old amp with a new one.

HI,

You can do that, but we need to try to find the amp and then I can give you wiring colors for the speakers and how to either bypass it with a new amp or just run them to the new Kenwood unit you have installed.

Is the amp powered by separate power connection? I shoiuld just follow the speaker wires right?

It is powered by fuse 26 which also powers the audio unit. The wire splits off the fuse box and goes to each separately.

You can follow the speaker wires, if it is in its original location, you should be able to see it near the left side of the steering column fairly easily as it will be the only component there is traditional looking heat sink fins on it to cool it

ebrock63
ebrock63, automotive shop manager/tech