Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

Installing a new pioneer radio into Nissan Pathfinder 1999…

Installing a new pioneer...

Installing a new pioneer radio into Nissan Pathfinder 1999 with IBD-WHNI2 with no success

Mechanic's Assistant: What Pioneer model do you have?

The-s501bt

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pioneer unit?

Sorry it's a fh-s501bt

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Cost?

2/17/2018
TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Car Electronics Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! So did you get the wiring harness for the vehicle to connect to the radio?

Got ire ring harness at Best Buy with the radio
Got the wiring...

ok so do you need help with connecting the wires?

Correct connected all like colors and no luck. No power to pioneer unit. Plugged back in old unit and it worked

can you send a few pictures of the wiring job maybe I can spot something

do you have a multimeter?

I do.

ok with both harnesses not connected check continuity on your main power and ground from harness to harness, those wire caps arnt very ideal for this application and may have a connection problem, and I would double check your ground, Its hard to tell if its correctly wired, also do you have a factory amplifier in this vehicle?

What connectors are ideal? Don't believe I have factory amp. Ground has no connection on harness correct?

ground needs to be connected on harness to harness, and ideal is solder and heat shrink but if thats not available the red butt connectors are best and blue for the larger wires and wire crimper listed below for that for a good positive connection

https://www.delcity.net/store/Vinyl-Insulated-Butted-Seam-Butt-Connectors/p_805413.h_801846.r_IF1003?mkwid=so5S86NUr&crid=38094426869&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzLm4t-2t2QIVVSOBCh1twQlxEAQYAiABEgJn0vD_BwE

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=67305726&KPID=21706576&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Catch_All_-_DT&pla=pla_21706576&k_clickid=d904420a-7481-4eb0-8658-f22a78c40d9e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuI3w0u2t2QIVizqBCh3Kcwn_EAQYBSABEgKXkPD_BwE

also can you send a picture if it further away so I can see both harnesses in the pic

Multimeter showed continuity on power wires. Red and yellow. Don't see a ground on harness I purchasedto bridge tonissian connections.

do you have the wiring diagram for the harness on the vehicle side if so send a picture of that

ok I think i see the problem so that black wire on the radio side needs to go to your black wire on the harness side, it looks like you have the black on the vehicle harness side to one of the speakers, there should be 2 grey colored wires and a black but it dosent seem like that is the case am I right? If thats the case run a ground to the body in the head unit area and it should turn on, you may also ave to get a better harness if that dosent work out, it seems like its missing something

People there is no black wire on harness side. Some look black ( green w/ black and gray w/ black). I tested all connections with multimeter and they are all good.

ok so then ground the black wire on the radio side and it should work,

hows it going?

Power. No sound.

you may have the factory amp, if thats the case you will need a different harness for that, if you send a picture of the back of the factory radio harness I can tell if you do or not

ok good so everything is working now?

Auto correct is killing me.
Put in OLD radio and got sound.
So still not working.

does it say bose on the head unit?

Ugh. It does. I just saw that.

ok so you will need a different harness for that, here is the best one at a great price

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120707550/Metra-70-7550-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Ok. More questions. Is one of the harnesses identical. So I don’t have to replace. Or do I need to replace both?

both harnesses will need to be replaced

Ok off to buy it

ok sounds good

Still now sound. According to package there is a wire for (1) amp turn on and (2) amp ground but no coresponding wire on radio side.
Still NO sound. That's what that should say

if you have the bose there should be a amp, send me a pic of the back of the 2 harness on the vehcile side where the wires go into the connector

whats the new harness you bought part number?

70-7550. I figured it out. I needed or connect 2 wires between the adapter harnesses. I had to wire amp-turn-on wire (blue/white) to the illumination (orange). I was able to get sound.

I figured so well im glad we got it all working!

TECHPRO49
TECHPRO49, Car Electronics Technician

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.