Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I have a JVC KW-V30BT car stereo that is stuck in a boot…

Customer Question
I have a JVC...

I have a JVC KW-V30BT car stereo that is stuck in a boot loop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is your KW-V30BT system connected to or paired with anything?

It is installed in my 2012 Subaru Legacy.

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your KW-V30BT?

My Samsung Galaxy S7 is paired with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I updated the firmware yesterday, it worked initially.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
2/8/2018
Car Electronics Technician: Louie, Car Electronics Technician replied 2 months ago
Louie, Car Electronics Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...JVC KW-V30BT..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you be comfortable to try: Please click / tap HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

A few days ago I performed a firmware update which allowed the unit to function briefly. Long enough to set the clock, adjust a few settings, set radio presets and make sure all the features worked, which they did for 15 minutes. Once I turned off the car and restarted it hours later, it was stuck in the boot loop. I tried a reset, several times to no avail. Then I tried to re download a different firmware update file and upload it to the stereo. It wouldn't even recognize that there was a usb drive connected to it. I tried several more resets and even pulled and checked the fuse (it was fine), all without any change in function. The power button works because I have it turned off rather than watch the JVC symbol blink on and off.

I understand and sorry to hear of this.

And as posted above, a likely hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiarity with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Foremost to check (even if just for test purposes) would be:

• presence and consistency of BAT+12V on the yellow wire;
  • ACC switched +12V on the red wire;
  • and that the black wire is tied to a good vehicle body ground and not only to the harness ground line.
I will test all the connections. I have access to a multimeter and soldering iron as well as almost any other tool you can imagine.

Great on the DIY!
And yes please, an update when able.

To eliminate my car's wiring as a potential problem I removed my stereo and replaced it with the factory stereo (it works fine). I connected my red and yellow wires to the positive clamp on a 12 volt jump pack and connected the ground to the negative clamp. The stereo remains in the boot loop even after 2 resets

Apologies for delays; field work with sluggish Internet if at all.

I understand and yes these would point to / confirm an internal hardware issue.

There would be a Service Mode for most models of the JVC KW-V series using a combination of button/touchscreen point/s where diagnostics can be run. Unfortunately I have no access to the Service Manual in my current location.

Let me re-open the question to solicit a second opinion from another member.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was never contacted by anyone else and never had my question answered or my problem solved.
Louie, Car Electronics Technician