Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

Might be a very dumb question. I have had my Prestige

Customer Question
Hello, might be a...

Hello, might be a very dumb question. I have had my Prestige Audiovox remote start for ten years. The remote start feature will not work unless the key is in the ignition. Always worked before. My LED blue light is a push button. I do not recall ever using valet mode. Could this be my problem? How can I reset the system?

Mechanic's Assistant: What Audiovox model do you have?

Prestige from 2007. I would have to look up the model number

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Audiovox unit?

Fuse is good, batteries are good all other functions work. If key is not in the ignition the remote start cranks three times then stops and signals back to the key fab that it has not started

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
12/23/2017
Car Electronics Technician: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

This is happening because of an immobilizer issue. Your vehicle has a transponder in the key which needs to be read for the engine to stay running. There will be a module with the remote start that sends a signal that simulates the key. This isn't working for whatever reason, which is why it starts and dies unless you have the key in the ignition.

Do you have the actual model number of the system?
What year, make and model is the vehicle?

Model number on alarm is either 5BCR05 or 5BCR07 and the car is a 2007 Toyota Camry. When the alarm/remote start was installed they did need a spare key to install the system.
Audiovox Prestige 5BCR05/5BCR07
AS9055 is the alarm system model number. The others were the key fabs

I'm away from a computer at the moment and will get back to you as quickly as I can!