Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I am wiring a alpine 145bt stereo 87 f350 diesel, the old…

Customer Question
I am wiring a...

I am wiring a alpine 145bt stereo 87 f350 diesel , the old wiring head has green wire hot , blue ground , yellow and orange hot with ignition on , red no power. when I connect alpine wire head to old I connected yellow to green , black to blue ,red to yellow or orange both hot on ignition and I I have the same problem either way , the stereo turns off and on and does not recognize the units internal cd player.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are there any lights on your 145BT that are lit or blinking?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried resetting your speaker?

Not sure what you mean

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
I also tried the stereo in my other car that has the same unit and it played fine , all functions worked.
12/9/2017
Car Electronics Technician: Don - Mo Lurch, Car Electronics Technician replied 4 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Car Electronics Technician

sorry for the delay............
IF your Factory Speaker wires have NEVER been modified, then you need to "split" the Grounds from the Speakers & connect to your Alpine Speaker Grounds, or you will burn out the Alpine.
In 1987 Ford use "Common Ground" Speaker System
Alpine uses "Floating Ground" System
You CANNOT connect Speaker Grounds to Chassis Ground
The Speakers have to use the Alpine individual Speaker Grounds
FORD WIRING:
Constant 12V+ = Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+ = Yellow/Black
Ground = Red or Black
Illumination = Blue/Red
.
Left Front (+) = Orange/Green
Left Front (-) = Black/White
Right Front (+) = White/Green
Right Front (-) = Black/White
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) = Pink/Green
Left Rear (-) = Pink/Blue
Right Rear (+) = Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-) = Green/Orange

.

AS you see Ford used the "BLACK / WHITE" of both Front Speakers as Ground - thru the Chassis / Factory Radio
The Alpine is "Floating Ground" & needs the Right Speaker Ground to the Right Speaker Ground wire of the Alpine & same with Left
.

Let me know if you need further

.

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..
.

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
You agreed to Rate the answer when you signed up
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.

.
.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch