Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

Trying to update my kenwood dnx890hd but it keeps failing…

Customer Question
Trying to update my...

Trying to update my kenwood dnx890hd but it keeps failing while using the usb drive

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your DNX890HD unit?

My guess is 2013 it was in the car when I bought it this year

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your DNX890HD?

Downloaded the file from kenwood to usb drive plugged it in and waited after 10 minutes it says it failed I have tried two different downloads and several different usb drives

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I talked to kenwood twice and went to my local kenwood dealer but no one could help

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
Answered in 2 days by:
12/10/2017
Car Electronics Technician: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you've tried multiple known good flash drives and have downloaded the software multiple times then the problem has to be in the radio. You can try a battery disconnect to see if that helps, if not then the radio would require replacement or internal repair to remedy this.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

All you've done is tell me what I already know you did not tell me how to fix my radio I would like a refund on my money

I can't tell you how to repair the radio's internal failure because it isn't field serviceable and there are no internal parts or service information available. If you want to have the radio repaired rather than replace it you'd need to remove it and send it to a radio repair facility such as United Radio.

Since you cannot tell me how to fix my radio then I should get my money back I shouldn't be charged for telling me you can't help me. When I signed up for this they said if you're not happy with the answer you'll get a refund so I would like a refund

I explained how the problem would be repaired, the radio needs to be replaced or sent to a radio repair service. This is true of all automotive radios. I will send a refund request, no need to reply to this message.