Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

The unit will not power up with car power outlet, outlet is…

Customer Question
The unit will not...

The unit will not power up with car power outlet, outlet is good. What is possible problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

XM onyx, radio ID H5UY424T, 9yrs old.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It is in wife's car so 3 weeks? and I just confirmed that the cig. lighter still works, and that power is still plugged in to back of unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Could the power adaptor have gone bad?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
11/20/2017
Car Electronics Technician: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the unit will not power up then it has either failed, the power adapter has failed, or it isn't receiving power or ground from the outlet or lighter socket. You could have a bad socket or a loss of power or ground to it due to a blown fuse or wiring issue.

The first thing you'll want to do is either try another device or use a test light to check for power and ground at the outlet. If there actually is power there then the next step would be to use a digital voltmeter to test for power and ground at the barrel plug on the end of the power adapter. If there is actually power and ground there but the unit doesn't work then it has failed.

If you have power at the outlet but not from the adapter then the adapter is bad.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.