Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I had a Sony XAV-W650BT car stereo installed in my VW Golf…

Customer Question
I had a Sony...

I had a Sony XAV-W650BT car stereo installed in my VW Golf in April. When I plugged in my Sony mp3 player through the front USB port it was a little of an adjustment as it seemed to be very particular about recognizing folders that were music bands (i.e., spelled correctly) and not just named anything. Also realized that it ignored any folders within these folders. However, yesterday I began trying to replace some files on my mp3 player that my car stereo wouldn't play (I assume maybe they are are a format not supported) and add some others. I have found that my car stereo does not seem to recognize almost all of the new file folders I've created. I would somewhat understand if it was a new band, but no, they are bands from the 1980s and 1990s mostly. I also renamed a folder (which it didn't recognize), then changed it back to the original band name only to discover it doesn't list the folder at all. It's as if 99

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

My mp3 player is a NWZ-S639F

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Only about 2 days. As I mentioned above, I've tried renaming the folder, which it doesn't recognize. Then changing it back to its original band name which it doesn't recognize either. Of the 15 or so folders I have created on my mp3 player, only 1 was recognized. by the stereo.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, I've tried putting a number before the file folder, such as "30 - Carlisle, Belinda" to see if that worked since it didn't recognize a folder titled "Carlisle, Belinda". Suprisingly, this worked. It lists this folder, but not others I've tried.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
9/22/2017
Car Electronics Technician: ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer replied 8 months ago
ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What type of music files are in your folders?

The following files will not play on your Sony car stereo:

MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC: copyright-protected files

DRM (Digital Rights Management) files

Multi-channel audio files

MP3/WMA/AAC: lossless compression files

WAV: Multi-channel audio files

The music files are mp3's. I don't think this is the issue since other music files are mp3's as well. As I mentioned in my original question, it will play the music files but the file folders that the music files are in are not being recognized and not listed on my car stereo's touchscreen. In the 2 days I began having trouble I had added an mp3 file here and there to other existing file folders that played were displayed within the folder and with no problem. I believe the problem exists because the car stereo doesn't seem to recognize the file folders that were created recently. I was wondering if there is a maximum number of file folders the car stereo car recognize or some other parameter whose maximum it has reached. For instance, the car stereo does not recognize the playlists that are stored on my mp3 player. So I made a file folder named "Abba" since I know it recognizes folders with the names of legitimate bands and I wanted it to be listed toward the top, alphabetically, of the other folders (I don't actually listen to Abba songs). Anyway, it recognized the "Abba" folder and was useful as an alternative to a playlist. However, I changed the name of this folder to "00 - Playlist 1" when I realized it recognized file folders with a number in front since I wanted it listed first and in case I wanted to make another folder as a playlist. However, it didn't recognize this new folder name. When I changed it back to "Abba", it didn't recognize it either. The songs weren't changed, only the file folder name. It makes no sense to me that it should not recognize the file name when it did less than 30 minutes before I changed it. The fact that the file names are ***** ***** recognized by the car stereo is the issue I am concerned with. The music files can be played if I put them in existing file folders.

Ok I will check if the other techs have any idea on this.

Ok. I hope so. Like I mentioned, it makes no sense that it doesn't recognize the names of bands, especially well-established bands or musicians (such as "Bowie, David"). I had his song "Chinagirl" in another folder and the song played just fine. When I created a David Bowie folder and transferred the song into it, it didn't list the folder at all. Just another example.
Pete, I am going to assume that you or the other techs don't have any other input on this issue. Assuming that my initial week of questions is 168 hours from the time I sent my initial question, I have slightly under 2 hours to go. I guess I was hoping for more than just letting me know what type of music files my Sony car stereo will not play. Funny thing is that I read in the manual that it states it won't play mp3 files - even though it does play them. Anyway, maybe my car stereo if becoming defective, maybe it only recognizes a certain number of file folders (I counted 237 tonight. Definitely an odd number if this is indeed the maximum number for the stereo.), maybe it only recognizes or lists a maximum number of Mb of music files. Who knows? What I know right now is that it doesn't state any of this information in the owner's manual. But in my opinion owner's manuals don't always state everything.
ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer