Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I have a kenwood excelon radio that's about 4 years old and…

Customer Question
I have a kenwood...

I have a kenwood excelon radio that's about 4 years old and out of the clear blue it is flashing the word protect. I have shut it off and waited and turned it back on and the same is happening. HELP!!

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Ok I just know it's a Kenwood Excelon I have to go out to the car to see if i can find numbers.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Yesterday morning when I got into the car to go to work. It worked fine Sunday. I took the cover up and put it back on and just turned it on and off. I don't know what else to do.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
9/12/2017
Car Electronics Technician: ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer replied 11 months ago
ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Kenwood radios have a protection mode to help protect them against overloading. Your radio will go into "Protect" mode if it has an internal short, a speaker is bad or the speaker wiring has a problem. Many of the problems that trigger protection mode can be resolved by following these steps:

Step 1:

Reset the receiver by removing the face plate and pressing the "Reset" button with a paperclip. If this solution doesn't fix the problem, continue with troubleshooting and reset the receiver after each step.

Step 2:

Turn off the receiver and disconnect all speaker wires.

Step 3:

Turn on the receiver. If it quickly shuts off, the receiver has an internal short, according to Kenwood. Contact Kenwood customer service to have the unit repaired.

Step 4:

Connect one speaker at a time. If the receiver shuts off after connecting a speaker, that speaker's wiring or the speaker itself has a problem.

Step 5:

Replace any faulty wiring.

Step 6:

Replace a speaker if you have replaced its wiring and your receiver is still going into protection mode.

--

Reply back and let me know how you get on?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------