Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

My radio in my 2006 Porsche Boxster S suddenly stopped

Customer Question
Hi, my radio in...

Hi, my radio in my 2006 Porsche Boxster S suddenly stopped working. I took it to a local import service company where they took it out, ran test on it, and said the computer in it was shot. So I purchased the same radio, CDR-24 on ebay that the seller said he guaranteed it works just fine and was pulled out of his 2005 Boxster. After having it installed, the word "protect" came up on the radio screen. I drove to the Porsche dealer two hours away. Their tech had never seen the word "protect". Normally it says "code". No one seems to be able to help me, and of course, the ebay seller won't respond to me. Is there any way to get this radio working?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Its a Porsche radio, CDR-24. I believe it was from a 2005 Boxster.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It was installed a couple of weeks ago and I've never been able to use it. It's said "protect" since it's installation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

07 Boxster RWD Porsche 987 RADIO TUNER CD PLAYER CDR24*********** That's what's been installed in my 2006 Boxster S

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Car Electronics
9/8/2017
Car Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
"Protect" on a radio screen or on a stereo screen, means Protect Mode. This means the output, or perhaps the whole radio, has shut down to avoid a short circuit burning out the output to the speakers, or perhaps other things.

Check the speakers first, with the radio Off. If there is no short there, disconnect them anyway, and see if the radio can turn On again without the Protect error. Let me know the result please. (I'll have more advice if that doesn't help the problem.)

Ok, but I'll have to way until the car stereo place opens up. I don't think that's it because the porsche radios are set for the specific car at the factory installation time. Replacing that radio with another requires a "code"- but I'll ask the tech guys to unhook the speakers. I think the "protect" (in the case of Porsche's) means it's been stolen. Have you investigated that?

No, I'm sorry to say it, but I don't need to investigate that - codes are required for security in case a device has been stolen, but 'Protect' means Protect Mode, which guards against device damage.

If you tell me the radio's brand (from the label on it) I could tell you specifics as to the Protect Mode for that brand of car radio.

Item description
"Factory Porsche Harman/Becker CDR24 CD AM/FM Stereo Radio

Thank you for the information about your radio. Actually the Protect is supposed to be about having entered the wrong code too many times. Have you turned On the radio, seen Protect on its screen, then waited about 30 minutes with it On? that might, very doubtfully, clear the problem.

Nothing functions w/ the radio- even turning it on doesn't work.

Well, the radio is On then, if it has anything on its screen. Don't turn it Off.

Restart the car. That sometimes joggles whatever is wrong, loose. Some have said so, about their experience with the PROTECT message on Porsche car radios.

Yeah, I've read that some have had luck w/ it coming on after starting the car a few times, but it's been installed for two weeks now and I've driven my car a thousand times since then. No luck.

Another source says, with a Protect problem, the installers had goofed, and the 'yellow plug' was loose. After seating that, it worked properly. A technician might have to look at the installation locally, to get it working. And as I said, shorted speaker connections might also cause this perhaps.

Do you need further information or help?

I'll have my tech look at that stuff. I did see those responses in a Porsche forum about this problem. I'd like help until I get this resolved, so I'll be back in touch after I get that checked. Thank you

That's fine. You may return at any interval convenient to you, to this conversation and this case, by going to

http://www.justanswer.com/car-electronics/anyxo-radio-2006-porsche-boxster-suddenly-stopped.html

Thank you and have a good day.

Thanks Russell

Let me know when you need further advice and help after getting this matter checked. Meanwhile, no response is required. Thanks.