Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I got a 1999 nissan altima, had a guy attempt to replace my

Customer Question

I got a 1999 nissan altima, had a guy attempt to replace my stock radio and doin so he cut the stock harness out and the cords to the pioneer are not color coded to the wires that were hooked up to the stock radio. In desperate need for tips or suggestions on how to fix it the right way. Just recently I had the wires twisted back to the harness & sealed using a hot glue gun. Need help
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you asking how to wire your Pioneer to your cut vehicle wiring?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to wire my pioneer straight to the wires that are hooked to the car but cant seem to find the right diagram
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Can you give me your Pioneer model number?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I acctually left the radio with the last person who fixed it. After it was hot glued and hooked to the other harnesses the back of it started smoking
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Was this the back of the radio that smoked?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
checked the fuse in back of radio, was still good. Smoked after grounding the black wire to metal
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

If the radio itself smoked when it was plugged in there is a good chance the circuit board on the radio is damaged.I have seen this occur before needing either replaced as a complete radio and then installed or sent in to Pioneer or a Pioneer authorized repair facility for repair.If you can get me the model number of the Pioneer this will help with wiring it to your model here.But it does sound to be damaged internally as smoke indicated internal electronics burning out and shorted.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you. So I might just be better off buying a new radio?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Your welcome. Yeah its usually cheaper this way.I have seen repairs run over $500 or more in some cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete