Car Electronics

Car Electronics Questions? Ask an Electronics Expert for Answers ASAP

Car Electronics

Im installing a new amp and subwoofer in a car and the head

unit doesn't have RCA outputs...
Im installing a new amp and subwoofer in a car and the head unit doesn't have RCA outputs so I'm connecting the speaker wires to the high level input on the amp. I've connect all four L+, L-, R+, R-. But there is a wire I need to connect for the "signal ground" to the high level input. Can I just connect this to a good chassis ground?
1/3/2017
Louie, Car Electronics Technician

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of the "...new amp...and the head unit..."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This should really be a straight forward question/answer that does not require specific model numbers.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The head unit is the stock radio in a 2008 mercury mariner and the amp is a BOSS AR1500MK

I have to ask because signal ground does not (always) necessarily mean the chassis ground can be used.

Perhaps another member can provide an alternate approach to your concern.

The question would be re-opened as I would rather opt out.

Good luck with the installation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you don't know the answer, even after I provided the model numbers, then why did you ask for the model numbers to begin with.
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Car Electronics Technician

Another Expert here.
very sorry for the delay............
Reason for questions is because we cannot see or touch what you are installing & many units Factory & Aftermarket have different outputs, which if connected wrong can damage the Unit or the AMP
On your Mariner, the Factory Radio has what is called "Floating Grounds" for the Outputs
You can only use the Rear Outputs or the Front Outputs of the Factory Radio to connect to your AR1500 AMP
Some Factory Units do not allow Base Ground in the circuit, so you need to try the AR1500 with & without connecting the "Signal Ground" to Chassis
Here are the Factory Wire Colors for Base Unit:

Left Front (+) = WHITE
Left Front (-) = WHITE / BROWN
Right Front (+) = WHITE / VIOLET
Right Front (-) = WHITE / ORANGE
.
Left Rear (+) = WHITE / GREEN
Left Rear (-) = BROWN / YELLOW
Right Rear (+) = BROWN / BLUE
Right Rear (-) = BROWN / WHITE

If you are replacing or connecting to the Factory SUB
VIOLET / GREEN = (+)
GREEN / WHITE = (-)

Hi, I answered your question correctly & as soon as I saw it.
did you need more info?
please respond or rate my answer, as that is what was agreed to when you read my answer.
thank you
.

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm so sorry. I thought I had rated you for your answer already. Normally I use JustAnswer through the app on my phone, and not my computer. On my phone it shows that I rated you 5 stars. I am on my computer now and will submit the 5 star rating again.Thank you again for your help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now it is not letting me submit a rating because it appears you have referred me to a new Car Electronics Technician.Some of the bugs in the JustAnswer website and phone app are very frustrating. I will try calling JustAnswer to see if they can credit you for the answer you provided. Thanks.

sorry for the issue.............
There is NO Rating shown at this time

.

Don - Mo Lurch
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your patience. 5 stars!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It still says "Connecting you with a new expert. Even tho i just rated your answer as 5 stars, again.

THANK YOU

Thanks for using J / A

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch