stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I connected the red camera lead to the black/purple wire on

Customer Question

I connected the red camera lead to the black/purple wire on the backup light; black to black (ground). I had the green/white harness wire connected to the black/purple wire at the driver kick panel. The camera would on work in manual. So, I disconnected the green/white wire and the camera still on works in manual mode. What would you suggest next. The vehicle is a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. Thanks.
JA: What's the exact make and model of the camera? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: RBC-5B?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It is a new install.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't checked any fuses yet. Yesterday, it wouldn't work at all as I determined there was not power actually going to the camera. I fixed that problem.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 8 months ago.

Where to start with this, you claim to have fixed a p[articular problem... and that there is power going there is a good thing for diagnostic purposes. Why did you mention the kick panel and the backup light... I would need clarification on you intent for those incidents.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was reading the below responses from JustAnswer. I think I followed those instruction, but my camera will only work in the (manual) mode, and NOT when I put the car in reverse:Expert: ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
The wire coming out of the radio needs to be hooked directly to the reverse light so that it only activates when the reverse signal is illuminated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I got that but my question is, is it okay to use the same wire to run to the back or does that need to be run together. We eat I have it now is the wire comes out the radio into the fuse box to the reverse light wire, then I spliced into that wire and ran to the camera in the back. Is this okay or do I need to do seperate runs. And can I use the wire from the fuse box instead of taking a tail light out.
ElectronicsPete
Expert: ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neal,
There are two wires going to the reverse light.
You cannot use the wire from the fusebox as it contains a permanent voltage.
You will need to connect to the second wire which only carries a voltage when the car is in reverse gear. The BLACK/PINK (+) wire located in the 66 PIN Connector, behind the Driver Kick Panel is the Reverse wire that you need to connect to.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In other words, the green/white wire was connected to the same black/purple wire that is physically attached to the backup light (except the green/white wire was connected near the kick panel.

Well, do you want it to only work in reverse?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it's a backup camera and I want it to come on when I put the car in reverse.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Its so straightforward, there are only a few wires you need to consider; the power goes to the reverse light, make your own ground if you have to, and use the harness to the signal. That way it only powers on when the vehicle is in reverse.