Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Kenwood ddx372 and putting it in a 14 Jeep Patriot.

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood ddx372 and putting it in a 14 Jeep Patriot. Using a XSVI-6522-nav adapter kit. The unit is getting power (can eject a cd), but the unit won't power on
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Kenwood ddx372 bt...about 2 years old. Worked great in my 07 sporttrac
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just took it out of sport trac 2 months ago. Just now putting in my 14 jeep patriot
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there anything weird with jeep wiring?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• • constant +12V at the Kenwood's yellow wire;
  • • +12V only when the ignition switch is ON at the Kenwood's red wire;
  • • DDX372's black wire is tied to the car''s metal part, frame, bracket or support and not only to the harness ground line.

And yes, there is something peculiar with this wiring as it uses CAN-interior bus in the radio C2 harness.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Louie. Thank you for the reply. My Daughter went back to college last night so I won't have the car until this next weekend, but I will definitely ground the black to the frame in addition to the black in wiring harness.
I'm not sure what you mean by it uses CAN-interior bus in the radio C2 harness.
Her 14 Patriot is stock...no sub. (I'm interested in putting in a sub if you have any insight on that....ie can I buy an old stock sub holder and swap out the factory sub for a Kicker sub and put in her amp?)Any additional insight would be helpful. Hopefully I can get the car on Saturday.Thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

The CAN-interior bus handles data signals for such as door chimes, interior lights, cruise control and others.

In most instances, there is no ACC wire equivalent even if an adapter such as an XSVI-6522 is used since nearly everything are data / low voltage pulses. Perhaps the article HERE may shed insight.

Hence the above suggestion of checking the voltages on the red & yellow wires. While there would most likely be always available +12V on the yellow wire, the ACC switched +12 on the red wire would be low or missing.

For test purposes, join the Kenwood's yellow and red wires and connect to where the yellow wire is to be connected; a constant +12V source.

Yes, that would do nicely for the sub observing wire size requirements for the power leads from the battery, connections to the Kenwood and phasing of the subwoofer/speakers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Louis...I have the car now briefly. Is the jeep red with white stripe the one I should connect the red Kenwood to??? Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The stereo works....but what wire is the ignition power wire on the jeep???
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Great! Good to hear that the"...The stereo works...", congratulations.

To my understanding, there is no equivalent wire for the ACC +12V for the 2014 model unlike the previous years that uses the pink/white wire. You may have to try finding an ignition +12V from the fuse box / engine bay.

Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight on how to locate an equivalent ACC or IGN +12V.