Car Audio Rusty
Car Audio Rusty, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Powering, fusing, wiring, and general installation
63817454

My car is a Toyota Camry 2003 LE, 5 speed manual

Customer Question

Hello,My car is a Toyota Camry 2003 LE, 5 speed manual transmissionI need help to build my car audio without a head unit. I want to replace my head unit with my rpi3 with touchscreen. I will also using a miniDSP C-DSP 6x8(I'm looking to buy a used one) as crossover and use my factory car amp to power the speaker is that possible? or I have to purchase a multichannel amp?My budges is about 300-350 total. What is your thought on the fastest, cleanest and most effective way to go to do this?I really need someone with good knowledge about this subject and help me through my project. Time is not my priority since I still need to find a used DSP to reduced the cost so if someone willing to help me build this project it will take sometimes.Thank you and await for your answer.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still do it is a big project I just hope you can help me.

Ok, how many speakers do you currently have? What size are they?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I currently have 2 front with 2 tweeter connected to it. And 2 rear
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is stock speaker for Toyota 2003 Camry.

Ok, those tweeters already have crossovers in them. What exactly are you trying to do? I'm a sound engineer, so I'll be able to help you, but I need to know your vision of the completed project.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's awesome! Thank you for helping me. Here is a sketch that I want to do. Hope it explain it a bit.

Gotcha, that is pretty simple, and it will work with any head unit. Since it has high level and low level inputs, even if your new deck has only powered outputs, it will still work. You'll have great control of each speaker. Connect the head unit to the DSP, then the low level outputs will power your existing RCA inputs on your factory amp, assuming that it exists and your speakers are not powered from the head unit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked my car repair manual and my car does has its own amp behind the glove box. I'm in the process of finding the used miniDSP now to save money. Are you familiar with "miniDSP c-DSP 6x8" I tried to look to buy it uses on eBay but it seems like no one selling it. The one that I can find is car forum but they sell quick. Do you have any recommendation of where to buy a used one of that model ? Thanks

Ebay is my best guess. I have no direct use with that model, I do concerts and large corporate events, not car audio, but they all work the same way. They have a line level input and a line level output. Since that model is for a car, it also includes the high level inputs. DSP crossovers allow you to dial in the sound of each speaker individually, and gives you full control of the audio spectrum.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello,I was able to get all my parts however I am running into a problem with the remote in for the miniDSP c-DSP 6x8. I was able to hook it up and get it working however when I tried to enable the remote in option so that it will turnoff by itself however with that option the c-DSP wouldn't even turn on. However when I disabled the remote in option it turned on fine, just doesn't shut down when the car is off (http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/C-DSP%206x8%20User%20Manual.pdf link for the user manual of the c-DSP 6x8 since you are not familiar with it).The c-DSP turned on (for the remote disabled) which I believed my ground and power is good. My remote wire should be good too because I hooked the same way with my amp and my amp able to turn on and off fine when the car is on and off. I even tried to use the remote wire and power wire from the amp to connect with the c-DSP but still no luck. Do you happened to have a suggestion for me?Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 10 months ago.

There are two types of power in the car. One is constant, meaning it is connected directly to your battery. Other power wires come from the ignition switch, which turns the electronics on and off with the ignition switch. You'll need to use one of the ignition switch lines so that the power goes off when you turn the car off. The constant power line is used for your memory backup.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your answer. Sorry I haven't been able to reply back due to my work and haven't been able to work on the project. Right now I have a little of time and get back to it however I'm running in to a problem hope that you can help. So I got a device call "dcdc usb intelligent from minibox http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR-DCDC-USB/PWR-DCDC-USB-manual.pdf" that's the link to the device. I was able to solder it and get a converter from 12v to a 5v usb and connect it to my raspberry pi. I got the power working however right now I'm trying to set off using the dcdc usb sending a pulse to my raspberry pi and get a script to the pi to set it shutdown safely. To do that the "dcdc usb" have an output call PSW which sending a shutdown pulse however I don't know where to connect that one to my raspberry pi 3 pin. Do you happened to know ? Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.