How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Car Audio Rusty Your Own Question
Car Audio Rusty
Car Audio Rusty, Car Electronics Technician
Category: Car Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 5909
Experience:  Powering, fusing, wiring, and general installation
Type Your Car Electronics Question Here...
Car Audio Rusty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am installing an amp in my boat. All is good, I just 't

Customer Question

Hi -
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I am installing an amp in my boat. All is good, I just don't know what to do with the rca cables. I have 6 ports on my amp and 5 ports on my stereo unit. 4 of the ports (on each) are for speakers and 2 are for "sw". How should I hook them up?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I meant 6 ports on my stereo unit, also.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I don't know which ports to use.
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That will do it. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Please postback with the full brand and model number of both the stereo and the amplifier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenwood stereo and JBL amp. I do not know the full model number. I really thought this was an easy question. If you use rca cables to connect a stereo unit to an amp, then which ports do you use? The 4 speaker ports? the 2 "sw" ports? I just don't know.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

They're not all the same. Without the model numbers I can't look up specifics. I will opt out.

Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** give me the model number of your stereo. I need to look at the back. If it only has speaker outs, please let me know.

You don't want to connect speaker outs to your amp. You'll need a speaker to line converter so you don't burn up your amp with the speaker level outputs. Click here. You'll want to connect your front L and R speaker outputs to it, and then use the RCA to connect to your amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K. - Got the paperwork.
Kenwood KMRM315BT Stereo
JBL MA6004 Amp
Hope this helps.Thanks,Ken
Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Perfect! That's just RCA cables, no converter is needed. Connect the front outputs from your deck to the front inputs on your amp. Then you will use your front L/R speaker outputs to your speakers.