ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My Kenwood KMR-D358 will not turn. When I install the

Customer Question

My Kenwood KMR-D358 will not turn. When I install the faceplace the unit vibrates every second or so.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: The screen says nothing.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Resting the unit. Disconnecting the battery
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: NO
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,Please tell me you have more for me than hi there for $16.Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me, you were offline when I responded earlier.

First, check that the faceplate is making good contact with the base unit and that all of the contacts are clean.

Also check that the power source is good and the unit is getting 12V - you can check the voltage using a multimeter.

If it still won't come on, try pressing the small reset button located on the base unit, just behind the faceplate.

Let me know how you get on...

Pete.

--------------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; tips greatly appreciated :)
Alternatively, please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete. I tried the reset button and the batteries are good. I am sure they are at 12 volts, boat instruments read them at almost 13. Have you ever heard of these units vibrating ever second? I don't see anything on the screen but if I hold the power button to turn it off the vibration stops. It starts again when I try to turn it on.Thoughts?

The vibrating is very strange - the only moving parts are in the CD player mechanism, so can you check if there is a disc stuck, or try inserting or ejecting a disc if possible to see if that helps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,I never played a cd so I know there is nothing in there. Only the radio.
There has to be other moving parts because it is very much a timed vibration. It is not happening by cause of a fault or faulty parts.

Can you try inserting a disc to see if that changes anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't accept a disc.

Ok, then something is amiss with the CD player mechanism - is it possible someone could have inserted something into it?

Perhaps a child pushed something into it? Or someone put an upside down disc in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, not possible. The boat sits in a locked storage facility.

Ok, then something has likely failed with the disc mechanism, and the unit will need to be sent for investigation and repair.

(or you could open it and take a look yourself if it is out of warranty).