Car Electronics

Car Electronics Questions? Ask an Electronics Expert for Answers ASAP

Car Electronics

I just installed the alpine 445u amp and everything works

Customer Question
except I have zero bass...
I just installed the alpine 445u amp and everything works except I have zero bass and if turn the volume up to high the music gets choppy. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car Electronics
6/9/2016
Car Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is possible that your speakers are wrongly chosen, or perhaps wrongly wired up to the Alpine unit.

What speakers do you have, how many, and are they hooked up in parallel, or in series, or how are they hooked up?

It is of course faintly possible that you simply have a defective Alpine unit. I hope it was sold to your New, rather than Used, since Used units have no warranty or (usually) return protection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have kicker ksc65 speakers, bought evrerything new. The wires are hooked up based on color of the head unit except for the ground and power. The speakers are hooked up however unsure now if the wires are hooked up the same do to them having different colors (wiring from car). There are four and all car speakers

Which speakers are hooked to what output?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The kickers are 6.5 and hooked up to the current door wiring

Then I think the problem is with wrong impedance matching.

Do you know the rating of your car's speakers in Ohms, the impedance per speaker?

That has to be matched to the impedance of the speaker outputs of the Alpine device... e.g. you should have an 8 Ohm speaker, hooked up to an 8 Ohm output, and only one of them on that output.

Or is your have a 8 Ohm speaker and another 8 Ohm speaker, and a 4 Ohm output, then you have to hook both those speakers, in parallel, to the 4 Ohm output, since two 8 Ohms loads in parallel will equal 4 Ohms in effective impedance rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The instructions say that two speakers wired in series to a single channel is 8ohms and if parallel to a single channel is 2 ohms

Then each speaker, alone, is 4 Ohms, according to that.

So, what are the outputs of your Alpine unit rated at? in Ohms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4ohms if I'm reading it right

Then you need to have one speaker to one Alpine output, then. That's it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How is that done?

Depends upon the wiring. Did you buy the speakers, but have someone else install them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bought them

If you installed them, you should know which wires go to which speaker. Or be able to trace the wires.

If you had a good voltmeter, you could put a meter across the wires, and find the ones that read 4 Ohms - those go to one speaker of the set.

As it is... one speaker to one Alpine output, it's as simple as that.

Russell H., Service Tech