Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Kenwood Cassette Receiver KRC-X657 will not change modes

Customer Question

My Kenwood Cassette Receiver KRC-X657 will not change modes when pressing the SRC button. It is "stuck" in the FM/AM radio mode. Is there a fix I can try to make it operate normally or is it a serious problem that will require a technician to look at? Thanks.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, We're not able to reference whatever question you're mentioning above, but when you press the reset button it must be pressed for 8 full seconds and released in order to have any effect. Please try that and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instruction and pressing the reset button just turned the receiver off and I did hold it in for at least 8 seconds. It did not fix the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I wait for the answer.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi David and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, that a RESET was not corrective would then be indicative of an internal hardware issue. Would you then consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron? Or would you consider a hopeful workaround?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have additional information which may shed some light on the problem. I removed the top cover of the receiver and found that the cassette tape ejector was "stuck". I pushed it loose and inserted a tape and then pressed the SRC button and it went into TAPE mode. However, if I close the front face to the point where the face lights up, the tape will not play and the head of the cassette player keeps moving in and out. If I stop short of the point where the face of the receiver lights up, the tape will play and the receiver seems to operate normally. This is a very critical point where the face plate must be held in place before it illuminates. If it, the face, is moved slight one way or the other, the tape stops playing and the tape head begins to move in and out until I press the eject button to get the cassette out of the receiver. I have a Kenwood10 disc changer model no. KDC-C719 which I connected to the receiver and I did get the SRC button to show DISC, but the display then read EJECT with a CH below the eject display. Also if I close the face up completely when in this mode, the illumination goes out on the face and the receiver does not work. It seems like the receiver is shorted out at that point. Does this information help with my problem?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the additional information David.And yes, these are significant as it would shift the primary suspect from just the SRC button's TACT switch to a potential circuit fault with the removable front panel / face plate.Proposed workaround as above mentioned would then serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination; i.e. component level repair or replace the face plate. Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Louie:
Replacing the face plate is probably out of the question because this receiver has long been a discontinued model. I didn't notice any on E-bay either. Most likely the face plate is the problem, at least some of the contacts must be grounded when it is closed in the TAPE and DISC modes. Therefore, I believe I will leave it as is and I'll search for a replacement face. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again David, Please click HERE if of interest. Hope that the above information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so).