Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

Have a 96 Viper the alarm phob seems to be working as it…

Customer Question
Have a 96 Viper...

Have a 96 Viper the alarm phob seems to be working as it turned off the alarm The car will start but dies within a few seconds any ideas help!!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The car had sat for several months in the garage without being started but the battery was not dead, my wife attempted to start the car and it turned over the car seemed to fire for a moment then died. the parking lights and taillights began to flash no horn. Hooked up to jumper cables charged the battery from my Truck for 1/2 hour changed batteries in Phob shut off car alarm no flashing lights, attempted to start the car it will fire run for 20 seconds or so and stop running.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
2/28/2016
Car Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try putting the alarm into Valet Mode - there's a switch or button on the alarm box, just under the dash on the driver's side, and you push or flip that button or switch, briefly, to activate it. That should clear up the trouble for now, *if* the trouble is only the alarm.

(Frankly, I suspect you may have slightly polymerized gasoline, choking up the engine, causing it to stall out/stop. Some STP or similar fuel treatment, plus some fresh gasoline recently pumped, might get rid of that problem.)