Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I have the Beats audio system in my new Dodge. I am a little…

Customer Question
I have the Beats audio...
I have the Beats audio system in my new Dodge. I am a little disappointed in the sound quality. Will adding an equalizer help improve the sound quality?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/24/2016
Car Electronics Technician: Aric, Car Electronics Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Car Electronics Technician

Hello, Offhand- no you can't add an equalizer to this system in any way- you can only replace parts of it to enhance sound quality (replace deck, add amps, change speakers, etc.). What were you looking to spend to upgrade the system and what's the Year and Model of your Dodge?

Its a new 2016 Charger Scat Pack. I would spend a total of $1,000 including install...and tax.

Okay, I can help you here. I need to know what specifically about the sound you're looking to upgrade- in other words:

1) Do you want it louder?

2) Is there not enough bass?

3) Is there not enough midrange/treble?

The system just sounds very boxy...not much sound stage. Its very cheap sounding. Treble sounds tinny.

Okay, I'll be back shortly.

The best options here to upgrade the system, are going to be to replace the front speakers, and add a powered subwoofer to the system.

For front speaker upgrades, I would recommend the JBL 3-ways at the link below- since they are fuller sounding than the stock front speakers and will add more midbass and a more articulated high end:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GX963/JBL-GX963.html?tp=105

I would also suggest another pair of those JBL's for the rear deck location.

For a powered subwoofer, the unit at the link below includes a built in amplifier and will augment the system with much more bass definition and depth than the standard Beats bass system:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTPRO12/JBL-GT-BassPro12.html?tp=114

That brings you to a total of $500 in speakers, and another $75 for amp wiring for $575. Labor varies on shop, but in most cases $300-$400 is what you'll end up spending for installation which keeps you under the $1,000 mark and will upgrade the sound substantially.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Thank you

You're welcome. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.