Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

The radio will not turn off when car is turn off??

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
2/21/2016
Car Electronics Technician: Pete, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year,make and model of this vehicle as well if this is a factory radio or after market?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Ford Mustang 1998 Kenwood HDC-362U

Are any other electronics in the vehicle acting up with this issue here at all?

No

O.k.,your radio factory or after market like it is here is powered by one feed wire from the fused battery output to keep the memory alive and one ignition switched on output from a fuse ignition switch signal.Since you have no other electrical faults in your vehicle here I dont suspect the ignition switch is the cause here.I suspect either the radio itself has shorted internally keeping it on needing removed and repaired or removed and replaced or the wiring has shorted at the back of the radio causing this here.

The only way to be sure is to remove the radio and locate the light green wire with yellow stripe,this should have power at all times with key on or off.It may be a light gray with yellow stripe.

The other wire is a yellow wire with black stripe.This should only have power with the key on or in accessory.If both of these wires test good and no shorts are found in the wiring then the radio is at fault internally needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

ok thank you check it out

Your welcome.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete

Pete, Mechanic