Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I'm looking to put some components around the 200 watt

Customer Question
Hey, I'm looking to put...
Hey, I'm looking to put some components around the 200 watt range. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. AND a 4 channel amount or 2 smaller 2 channel amps to power them. I have a kicker zx 2500 that I'll hook up a few 12s or 15s. My main question is what could I get for a decent price that's good quality and putts out the wattage it say it does. I want good sound quality but I don't want to spend a fortune and I very been out of this for so long I don't know what's what anymore. Between 2 sets of components and 1 or 2 amps which ke very us better I'm looking to spend under 1000 somewhere. The lower the better but I don't want junk either. My vehicle fits 6×8s 4 or them but I don't necessarily need to stick with that size. Thanks for the help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
2/2/2016
Car Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. I am an Expert in the Car Electronics category. If you feel this is not the best category for your question, let me know and I will forward it to the appropriate group of Experts.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

That's a really good question. There are so many amps out there that don't perform to their stated rating.

The first awesome amps that I think about that are fairly priced are Emotiva.

http://bitli.es/tuAqp7

BUT, this question is in the "Car Electronics" category, so I'm assuming that this needs to be for a vehicle... and you confirm that by saying what your vehicle fits. I was hoping to turn you on to Emotiva, but that won't work for the car.

Based on your concern for the output power, what we need to look at is RMS power and not Peak power. Most amps will advertise Peak power, which isn't very meaningful. RMS power is the power that the amp can maintain continuously. And IMO, is a better measure of what the amp is. A manufacturer can make an amp peak at just about any power just by making the reset of the amp suck more. Sorry if I go on too long about this, but buying stuff like this is one of my favorite things to do. Here are my recommendations. These are not necessarily in order of preference - they will ALL do at least what you are asking, they are ALL excellent, no BS amps... very capable. They may be different in their approach, but any one of them would be a good choice.

JL Audio makes a 4 channel amp. Actually they make a few, but this little powerhouse is well within your price range and puts out 150w RMS with 4 channels:

http://bitli.es/Hqnryx

That would pair nicely with their monoblock 600 1v3 for the subs:

http://bitli.es/BjK2J0

Those are pretty high end - but right in your price range. On the lower end, but still very capable (one of the few "less expensive" brands I would use myself)... Rockford Fosgate Prime series. Example: This one amp will give you 50 Watts x 4 + 200 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm / 75 Watt x 4 + 300 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohm. Not exactly what you are asking for in terms of power for the four main channels, but it is RMS and the whole thing will only set you back around $225.

http://bitli.es/3Bi5xj

Another amplified in this class worth mentioning is the Kenwood X700-5 - 700W 5-Channel Amp. This series by Kenwood has the smallest footprint of all the amps in this class (other than their RX "Reference Design Series), so if you are tight on space, it's a great choice. And it's RMS Power Rating is as follows: 4 ohms: 40 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan. 2 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan. Bridged, 4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan. + 500 watts x 1 chan. It's definitely one of the best amps in this range. It has excellent sound and no distortion.

http://bitli.es/bOVWq9

Another amp that you should take a look at is the Alpine PDX. It's a Class-D amp on a small, 2” tall frame. It's still very effective at heat dissipation, and the sound is superb. One thing I love about this amp is the special connectors it has - they pop out which makes installing and removing the amp EXTREMELY easy. The PDXF6 / PDX-F6 / PDX-F6 4 Channel 150W puts out 150W x 4-Chan. @ 4 ohms. It's one of the best amps you can get in this price range.

http://bitli.es/KFC1Ux

I'll stop there. But if you have any questions, or if there are other models you are looking at, let me know and I'll be happy to continue the conversation.

I'm considering keeping the factory 6×8s all around the truck. There's 4 in total. Ido like to find some decent ones that can handle some power and not distort when at hight volumes. What do you recommend for that? Brand wise and all that? I'd like to hook up a 4 channel 650 wall kicker zx to the 4 or them. Would I get decent mid basSeptember from those and good sound quality. Like I said I got the zx2500.1 kicker amp for th Ed subs so I need some speakers that cal be heard over all that still. I could also probable cut out hose to fit in 8 inch mid bass components but for not see what you an find in 6×8 coaxial or components and which would suit me the best thanks again

Please see my recommendations in my last reply. My recommendations for 4 channel and monoblock amps are detailed there.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer