Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

Have a 2003 ford ranger, 4 liter auto 4x4. ran it this

Customer Question
have a 2003 ford ranger...
have a 2003 ford ranger, 4 liter auto 4x4. ran it this morning and it was fine. got in this after noon and it wont start, little power to lites, etc. when I turn the key all I get is a humming sound. tried battery charger but no luck. Its like something is blocking electrical power. any hints??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
1/23/2016
Car Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try disconnecting the battery - carefully and safely, at one electrode, preferably the ground, while the whole thing is Off.

Then try the battery charger on the battery.

Then measure the battery and see whether it has charged at all. If not, you have an internally shorted or otherwise defective and useless battery. If it has charged fully, on the other hand, you may have a shorted component in the vehicle's electrical system somewhere, which can be isolated by (still unhooked from the battery at one terminal, of course) measuring the total resistance in Ohms of the entire electrical system, then unhooking one component and measuring again, and seeing whether the Ohms of the entire system goes up suddenly when one component has been unhooked - and that would be the shorted component.