stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

How to install a digital line converter to car stereo

Customer Question

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Depends completely upon that you're going for, although what it mostly consists of is a converter where a channel of audio is spliced into; are you looking for mono or stereo effect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is actually in a 2015 Harley with 6.5 infotainment head unit which is a dsp output. I have hertz deici and Memphis audio mclass component speakers and Memphis 16 sa450 amp. I have also used pac 35 analog output and am wanting to try a digital loc to see if there is better sound quality. I'm wondering if I can use a common power and ground for the digital loc or if I have to run separate lines. The reason for using loc is to not get the factory hu flash which causes more issues and provide a clean flat signal to amp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I realized I was way too vague when you were responding
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

By all means, for the purist you would want a stronger signal for amplifcation purposes. Anything of that nature would specify proper guage and as such make the decision for you quite simple. If it comes with it's own wires I'd say tap in anywhere you deem reasonable; if it requires it's own power supply, I'd go with the battery for power and ground on the chassis. Some creative blending might be a headache, nowhere to hide much is there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of this is mounted under the fairing but space is a premium here. Hence the compact amp. The digital unit is a pac audio pdlc21 which has a power harness but also provides remote on for amp. The 12v power and ground for the amp are pretty beefy while those for the loc are not. Can I tap off the power I already have for the amp? If so should I keep the additional in line fuse for the loc between unit and splice?
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i256_battery-terminals.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i130_distribution-blocks.html

I'd start here...

Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

And two things that are general to the professional nature of this work, everything gets it's own fuse. Secondly, Never trust the remote amp addition; either straight from the head unit or with a switch from the current source. You could feasibly tap from the amp, although thats where I would highly recommend a battery terminal and distrobution block for aesthetics.