Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My name is ***** ***** and my question is about a clarion

Customer Question

Customer: hello my name is ***** ***** and my question is about a clarion vz401
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes... It is a flip out head unit and the other day my display screen went black but sound still comes out and the touch buttons still work on the screen even though they don't show up. However if you push the close button for the screen to close, as it is closeing the screen will come back on as it's closing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Car Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure does that sound like an easy problem that can be figured out
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects would either be the flex/ribbon cable connecting the display panel to the main circuit and/or a cold-solder issue.

Either of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach (with guidance)? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?