stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

My Holden vectra 2003 model has a problem with the blaupunkt

Customer Question

my Holden vectra 2003 model has a problem with the blaupunkt 2620 radio/CD player with the volume going either up to full volume up or down to no volume, controls on steering column work the volume and the knob on the unit does not have any control over the radio volume, even turning the radio off is a problem as the unit seems to respond to no input. recently had the battery disconnected and the radio required pin reset. Very difficult to insert pin numberr as the buttons didn't seem to respond at all. Finally got it to work again and now seem to have corrected the problem some what - ie; it same issue doesn't seem to happen as frequently. I now only use the buttons on the steering wheel.
While its practical to replace the unit I prefer to keep the car in original condition.
Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

A very common problem.

The volume control in most head units is a potentiometer and gets "dirty" poor contacts within the mechanism, (the signal wiper arm), or an intermittent open circuit in the carbon wiper ring.

Sometimes operating the volume knob from min to max may make it operate closer to normal.

If the preset buttons also have poor response then a similar poor contact issue is happening on the front circuit board.

I agree with your thoughts on keeping the original type head unit if you can.

I hope this may help you.

Gary