Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years Automotive experience.
10949255

I added a after market radio to my 2001 buick lesabre.after

Customer Question

I added a after market radio to my 2001 buick lesabre.after adding it my car who need a jump after sitting idle for over 10 hours. I replace the battery with a new one. I took the car back to another car stereo shop and the said the radio had a short in
it. well i purchase a new after market radio from them. After the car radio was installed the car ran find, after sitting idle for 12 hours it would not start. I jump the car and it started right up and would run all day with no problem. This problem did not
start until i had them to install the first radio, What can be causing this problem. The battery will drain but all i have to is just touch the jumping cabkes to my battery and the car will turn over with no problem.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

My first thought is the radio is installed incorrectly and what should be an ignition feed is being draw upon as a battery feed. With that in mind, did they check out the install again? Verify wire colours and such?

On your system there is no ignition feed from the car so a device called a Chime module would need to be used, this would use network signals to turn the radio on like the factory system. If not then an ignition feed would need to be added. I suspect the ignition feed and battery feeds are both connected to the orange battery feed wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cam My name is Robert I had the first radio installed by 2 different car stereo shops and same thing happen. The 2nd shop said there was a short in radio so the sold me a new one and the same thing is happening. so i am going to take it back to them.

Ok, as I mentioned Robert, it sounds like its being powered up all the time and killing it. I think they are missing something in the install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will let you know when i ask them about a Chime module

IF not a chime module then hijack an ignition feed from the heater system or something like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car still in shop none of the about is the problem.

What did they find then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As of this morning they are still running test.

Very strange. I am wondering then if the actions simply installing it, they may have bumped something and caused the drain in the system.