Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Have new battery,new remote controller also..still have old

Customer Question

Have new battery,new remote controller also..still have old one too...but DVD player in 2007 Subaru Tribeca will turn on when DVD is inserted, and play into to movie, but will not respond to remote to play movie or anything else...battery installed right. Got any Ideas?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially,

the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects are:
• low or missing sensor supply voltage (least likely);
• cracked board, loose connection, cold solder sensor circuitry (likely);
• remote sensor of DVD player (most likely).

Still, there is a test to confirm if an IR remote is really working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.

On the other hand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible internal (sensor circuit) hardware concern in the unit itself or in some instances, a compatibility issue.

Please post back results of camera test.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Louie, One remote did work and the other one was week but you mentioned about replacing a sensor in the unit itself haven't done that but have replaced motherboard send electronic flowmeters for Exxon Mobil so I'm not completely naïve to the electronics but we just didn't work on the board themselves, we just replace boards , got ideas about the electronic sensor is in the unit I have not a opened it up yet. Do you have any suggestions of where I could get the board online. Suppliers. Really don't want to spend 200 or 250 bucks on this thing ,when I can get a new one for about the same price, but going to look at it.Thanks Don
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Appreciate the post back Don.

Sorry but no info on replacement board sources. Still, for the IR sensor, it would be possible for component level as the sensor is basically a 3-pin device; +, GND and output.

If able, please post back with the internal/circuitry of the DVD player particularly the front panel.