Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have 2000 chevy silverado and put a Kenwood stereo in...it

Customer Question

I have 2000 chevy silverado and put a Kenwood stereo in...it works fine until the car starts to move i then lose power to it....turn car off and back on and all good until the car actually moves.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Kenwood.

Still, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) to serve both as an attempt of a workaround fix and as a test by process of elimination:

• • temporarily wire together the Kenwood's red and yellow wires to an always available +12V source;
  • • ensure that the Kenwood's black wire is tied to a metal bracket, frame or car body for sure ground and not only to the car's ground line in the harness ;
  • • depending on what version/model of the Silverado, the +12V may be be an orange wire in the car's harness.
  • - should problem persist, then it would most likely be a Kenwood issue;
  • - if not, then it would be a concern of which wires to tap/use with the car's harness.

All other checks would be with the use of a multi-meter.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did ground to body.
Jumpered Red and Yellow to the Orange from the Chevy and it does stay powere on.Model: KDC BT 562u
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

And based on the above posted results, it would appear that there is nothing wrong with the Kenwood KDC-BT562U.

Review / re-try the wiring:

• • Kenwood's red wire to the Silverado's always available +12V source such as the orange wire (depending on the trim/harness version);
  • • Kenwood's yellow wire to the Silverado's ACC switched +12V line such as a similarly colored yellow wire again depending on the trim/harness version.