Car Electronics

Car Electronics Questions? Ask an Electronics Expert for Answers ASAP

Car Electronics

I replaced my factory radio with a alpine and when I take

Customer Question
the key out and open...
i replaced my factory radio with a alpine and when I take the key out and open door radio stays on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
9/17/2015
Car Electronics Technician: Don - Mo Lurch, Car Electronics Technician replied 2 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Car Electronics Technician

Year, Make & Model of vehicle?
Did you use a Wiring Adapter?
If so, Brand & Model Number of Wiring Adapter?

My car is a 2005 Saturn Relay. I had the radio put in my a radio place so I don't know the other questions.

Saturn Relay 2 or 3
was this issue the same with Factory Radio?
Did your Factory Radio work good prior to this install?

no did not have this problem with factory radio. When I first got the Alpine it did not do this. Then it would happen ever so often, now it does it all of the time.

thank you for the added info

Saturn Relay 2 or 3?...........as it matters for wiring diagrams

relay 3
I have the steering wheel controls but when they put the converter in for that I had trouble with the bands changing and the sound going up and down by itself. They undid that and then I started having the issue with the radio not turning off unless I did it manual

thanks again for the info.............

Here is the issue........Your Saturn uses DATA from the Body Control Module (BCM) to turn the Radio OFF.
IF they used the "correct" Wiring Adapter to install the Alpine, the BCM will control that like the Factory Radio
The Factory Radio typically will play for apprx 5 - 15 minutes when Key is turned to Off when Driver Door is not open.
When Key is removed & Driver Door opens, the Door Switch tells the BCM the Door is open & turn off the Radio & Key Chime.
I do not believe it is an issue with the Install or Factory Radio, as the Driver Door Switch is NOT telling the BCM to turn off the radio.
You could try another Wiring Adapter first & see if the issue is internal to the Wiring Adapter.
IF it is not, then the Driver Door Switch needs to be tested.
You could try spraying a lubricant into the Door Latch & open & close a number of times to see if the helps.

ok thanks

let me know what you find........
IF you need info on Door Panel removal or dash & wiring I can post that also

the switch is part of the Door Latch

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch