Car Electronics

Car Electronics Questions? Ask an Electronics Expert for Answers ASAP

Car Electronics

I just purchased a pioneer fh-x820bs & installed it. I have

Customer Question
hi, I just purchased a pioneer...
hi,
I just purchased a pioneer fh-x820bs & installed it. I have power to the radio & control of everything, just no audio out. I have an adapter harness that I put in line & I am not using the rca outputs. This is in a chevy silverado 2011.
Do I need to use the rca outputs or is this supposed to output audio through the installed GM harness?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
9/13/2015
Car Electronics Technician: umdterp13, Car Electronics Technician replied 2 years ago
umdterp13
umdterp13, Car Electronics Technician

Depends on whether you have bose and/or onstar... that's gonna make a difference as for the amplification signals the RCA's connect to and probably explain the lack of audio

No onstar. Are the only ouputs for this radio the rca? There is no amp.

the important question is if your speaker grills say "Bose" on them or not...

No bose speakers.

cool ok, so... lemme

look this up again brb

K

GMOS 01 sound familiar?

whew ok there are a few for your truck listed on Metra, for the interface... which one did you use as a wire harness?

Sorry, i didn't look @ the package & can't seem to locate it. The audio store guy told me taht it's the cheaper one.

ok the 100 does it all and if you didn't get the one for your year... i saw something about cutting our resistors for non-amplified models, it would really be a deciding factor which interface you have although from the way it seems, you wouldn't need the use the RCA outputs unless you have an amplifier. I doubt that has much of anything to do with anything, the harness though? I mean, it's hard to say without knowing which one you're using... the aftermarket radio for those plugs into a unit that plugs into the trucks wire harness usually, and you should be able to solder/connect the speaker wires as mentioned in the manual, and if you have that, there should be a model number associated with it

it's more like you wouldn't use any of the speaker wires if you were using the RCA's actually, and that's for an amplified system

K. I understand. I will look again to see what adapter harness i have.

Nice, for there to be power and no sound it's gotta be something pretty straightforward

The harness is turbowire metra pn 70-2104. Metra seems to be thename brand

yeah I don't even see that one listed, not for the model of yours... http://www.metraonline.com/

this is the part that appars to be missing: http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ADXSVI

there are other versions, had there been OnStar or amplification... it's something that basically tricks the truck into thinking the stock radio is still there

I'm done for the night, it's most likely the harness... if you installed it yourself send me a picture, of the harness/wires; if not... I don't see how a shop would have let a customer take home a truck without a working upgrade

the truck controls whether or not the speakers play?
Thank you. I'll check back with the shop monday. Have a great evening.

ish... yeah, I know that seems odd, domestic electrical systems are beyond complicated intentionally... I have never heard of any shop in my life who would let an install out that doesn't work, maybe it was just one of those days. If it "works" to the extent that you got power with ignition, there is a signal being sent from the source/head unit. If it's not making any sound, that's between the head unit and the truck... seeing as all the sound is is a wire to each speaker. There's something up with the harness, my best guess without any further information.

umdterp13
umdterp13
umdterp13, Car Electronics Technician