Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a Kenwood DNX890HD system in my van that needs to be

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood DNX890HD system in my van that needs to be updated. However, when I try to download new maps it says I need a SIM card. Need help in getting my GPS updated in my van.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

To update this device you are going to need a SD card. I recommend an 8gb but a 4gb will suffice. First you will need to export the information from your radio to your sd card.

To export device information:

1. Insert an SD card into your navigation device's SD slot
  2. Touch Settings
  3. Touch Device
  4. Touch Update Map
  5. Follow onscreen prompts

The device information will now be exported to the SD card.

Prior to map updates you will need a software update.

1. Insert the SD card with exported device information to your computer.
  2. Go to https://www.garmin.com/kenwood
  3. Click on Update
  4. Click on your device
  5. Click Read Media
  6. Click on Software Update and follow the onscreen instructions. Note some of these models may require a USB Flash drive. It will tell you after scanning your device.

To update the maps,

1. Go to https://www.garmin.com/kenwood
  2. Click on Update
  3. Click on your Kenwood device
  4. Insert the SD card with exported device information
  5. Click on Read Media
  6. Click on Map Update and follow the onscreen instructions to purchase and activate the map update
  7. Download and install Garmin Express to your computer
  8. Follow the instructions to install the map update to your SD card

When the update process has completed on the computer, take the SD card to the vehicle to insert into your navigation system.

Leave the SD card in your navigation system. The updated map information will be read from the SD card.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I would be getting my information directly from someone at garmin. Apparently this is not the case and I don't want to have any recurring payments. I already put in credit card information to get an answer which I thought was silly. Make sure there is no deductions to my account past the $34 for the answer I got that does not make any sense to me. I don't know what in the world you are talking about. I'll try to get my information from the dealer who installed my system in my van.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can provide you with some additional assistance. The correct download for your model is on the following page:

http://bitli.es/P0Iy68

And the detailed instructions on how to install the upgrade are on that page as well. But if you run into any problems or issues, just let us know and we'll be happy to help.