stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

My alpine cd changer (e32 BMW) does everything but spin and

Customer Question

My alpine cd changer (e32 BMW) does everything but spin and play. Radio says "cd checking", "tracking" , then all internal movement stops with cd in place at base of unit and radio says "cd error". Have covers off and can't see any movement of years etc near cd turntable.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 2 years ago.

Honestly that sounds like a warranty issue if its mechanical to such a degree, sounds like it has nothing to do with an installation. If nothing else you might try a lens cleaner, a dummy disc that spins a brush over the beam... although it still sound like technically its something Alpine would have to service and likely for the price you could get a new one installed. Might not be the answer you'd ideally like to hear, it's just not quite a labor related problem at this juncture.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried keyboard cleaner throughout inside works and used a cd brush cleaner. Had to spin it by hand. What about alcohol and qtip cleaning? Can anything get near the lens? It can be dirty I understand from BMW blogs. This is a 1993 era device.
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 2 years ago.

Its a multi disc changer? yeah, unfortunately I've had the experience of working with mechanical failures in similar models. Had to take the whole thing out and send it back for factory service or try explaining that a new HU (head unit) is really the best way to go... they're notorious for what you are describing as a testament to their age.