Car Electronics

Car Electronics Questions? Ask an Electronics Expert for Answers ASAP

Car Electronics

Expedition: satellite radio is not working properly, it displays

Customer Question
satellite radio is not working...
satellite radio is not working properly, it displays "satellite fault" or sometimes "no signal", after about 30 minutes of driving it comes on and works fine. AM, FM NAV all work fine, once I turn off engine it repeats same problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
7/26/2015
Car Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
My name is***** can help you with your question.
The satellite faults or no signal errors refer almost exclusively to the antenna. While it is possible that there has been a failure in the tuner, it is unlikely. It's far more likely that the antenna is either a – mounted in the wrong place on the vehicle, or B – has a bad connection to the satellite module.
If it's factory installed, then you really don't have to worry about being mounted in the wrong place. So if that's the case, you will have to pull unit out and check the continuity of the wires to the antenna. As long as that connection is okay all the way to the antenna and the antenna is in a correct location, then issue should go away.
It is a factory installed antenna for a 2008 Ford Expedition, the antenna is mounted on the roof on the right side of the vehicle above the front passenger seat. Do you have any guidance on how to:
1. Access the tuner to check the antenna connection?
2. Remove the antenna from the roof? I am not sure how it is attached, it is not a simple magnet, it has a rubber skirt at the base of the antenna that seals it to the top of the roof.
Michael, It is a factory installed antenna for a 2008 Ford Expedition, the antenna is mounted on the roof on the right side of the vehicle above the front passenger seat. Do you have any guidance on how to replace the antenna?
1. How do I access the tuner to check the antenna connection?
2. How do I remove the antenna from the roof? I am not sure how it is attached, it is not a simple magnet, it has a rubber skirt at the base of the antenna that seals it to the top of the roof.
3. Could I snake through a new antenna lead using the old lead to pull the plug in end from the roof to the tuner?
The factory antenna is almost always OK. Very few problems with them and they are mounted in the right place. So that only leaves the antenna cable that plugs into the sat module in the console.
If it comes down to being the antenna externally, then yes, the things you mention would work.. It's not a tough job, but it's more work than not replacing it, so I would check the connections on the main unit first. You should have two wires that go into the back there... they will be odd looking wires - one of several connectors... most are blue and white.
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer