ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

How to test an old crt monitor. It makes up the radio, hvac,

Customer Question

How to test an old crt monitor. It makes up the radio, hvac, etc in a 1988 buick reatta. It is a touch screen with an old crt monitor inside for the display. I have sound and the touch screen works if I touch it but the crt monitor is out. I'm very familiar with electronics and have meters, scopes, etc. Can anyone point me into a direction for testing this thing? I already disassembled it and checked for cracked solder joints but haven't found any yet.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, If there are no cracked solder joints, try touching them with a soldering iron to reflow them anyway - they may be cold on the inside of the joint.If that does not work, then a local TV repair shop can examine the CRT tube for you in case it has blown and needs to be replaced.