Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I lost the ignition keys to my 2003 Subaru Forester. The Subaru…

Customer Question
I lost the ignition keys...
I lost the ignition keys to my 2003 Subaru Forester. The Subaru dealership where I purchased the car remade some keys based on their specifications, but neither of the keys will turn on the car. They keys will only turn approx. 1/4 of the way before they stop. Is there some kind of 'turn off" system that prohibits a new key from operating under these circumstances? What can I do to solve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jane T.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
6/7/2015
Car Electronics Technician: Gary, Car Electronics Technician replied 3 years ago
Gary
Gary, Car Electronics Technician
Hi Jane,
Does your new key unlock and lock the drivers door from the lock barrel?
If the key does feel normal in all locks, including the boot, then it just needs programming. Vehicle will not start with a unprogrammed key.
If it does, the key should be correct.
If it doesn't, the key code is incorrect.
The next easiest step for you would be to ring a locksmith to come to you, remove the door lock barrel, code a new cheap key to the door barrel, just a few dollars for key blank, when the locksmith is happy with the door lock, he'll then try the new key blank in the ignition barrel. If he can turn the ignition on, then the code is correct. At that point, you go back to Subaru and show them the error with the keys, the difference between the one they cut and the one the locksmith cut. Hopefully they'll cut a new Subaru Key to the same correct code and look after you for price for their mistake.
Then you'll need to get the key transponder and remote programmed to your car.
Some car locksmith guys can do some programming, you might be able to get Subaru to come to your house, or you may have to put the car on a tilttray truck to take it to Subaru for them to program.
Hope this helps you.
Gary