stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

My zumo 550 did a Bluetooth update recently on start up a few

Customer Question

My zumo 550 did a Bluetooth update recently on start up a few days ago. Yesterday when trying to make a call with the 550/iPhone, the call completed but I had no transmit. Heard the called party but they could not hear me. I dropped call and tried it twice more with same results. I recalled using the iPhone with the zumo turned off and phone worked properly. I had this problem a few years ago and stopped using zumo Bluetooth. Recently the zumo stopped charging and in the process of trouble shooting I reseated the battery, replaced the car & motor cycle mount and finally replaced the power cable in the car. After this the Bluetooth worked perfectly with the iPhone until I received the recent unexpected Bluetooth update. Do I have something wrong in my setup that causes this or is there a simple fix?
Fred R.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
After you downloaded the bluetooth update to your device, when you turned on the device did you receive a message that the update was installing or installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not request the update. I was just driving around, received an audible tone and saw the msg that a Bluetooth update had just occurred. I thought acknowledged that with the OK button and thought no more about it until next day when I tried to make a call. Call went through ok but no audio transmit, receive audio worked fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On second thought the unrequested update appeared after I had stopped car, turned off ignition left the car and came back to car and restarted it and the zumo.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, do you recall doing a PC update anytime within a week before that update appeared? Do you have means to connect to a computer and do you have Garmin Express installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I use an apple computer with crossover to play with PC based products and yes I have used Express to check my zumo for dates within the past month. The site id'd my zumo and indicated that I was up to date. I can connect to express if needed.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes connect express and check under tools and then other updates. Check on that list and see if there are any additional updates for example of a full bluetooth update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok take me 5 min to get gps out of car and connect.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok No problem, please take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok in TOOL but no other updates. I have a optional updates menu but it is telling me there are no other file avail to install
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
OK With your device still plugged in, open the nuvi drive and located a folder or file labeled gupdate.gcd If there is a folder, please tell me what other files are in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just hit check for updates and am getting msg back "sorry we are having a problem connecting to our servers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok where do I find the NUVI DRIVE? This is an older zumo.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I meant Zumo drive, it was the icon that appears when you connect your device to your MAC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok under GUPDATE.GCD there are the following. RemoteSW, text, vehicle, voice, and XM.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok delete gupdate.gcd and the remoteSW files. Then unplug and restart the device. Then Give a try to connect your iphone and make a call to see if this helped your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it connected ok but not sure if it is working as I get msg that device needs to be in a cradle for the speaker to work. I think it is a two speaker.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few more minutes to give the girl a call and let her know what I am doing a test call to her. But first I have to go back to the car and call from there?
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok well take your time testing it. When you get it in the cradle, give it a test and then get to me at your earliest convenience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No go. Got gf and hear her fine but she does not hear me. I called her same number from my house phone just to be sure her phone was not the problem
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Alright after going through the software issues, the issue may be with hard ware. In this case the microphone on the device may have failed.
How old did you say the device was?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh it has to be at least 10 yrs old to me. But it was working before until it tried a Bluetooth update and stopped until the last problem when I swapped out the cradle and power cord. It worked again until the last unrequested update a few days ago.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
I understand. I am going to opt out and see if there is anyone else who can give a better answer. Please standby by, an expert will reply when one becomes available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok