Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Garmin 172C bought in the States in 2007. At the same

Customer Question

I have a Garmin 172C bought in the States in 2007. At the same time I put in Bluechart card. The unit has functioned excellent until this Autumn. During pushing On power on the unit recently (for the first time this season) I just got a blank screen. I can see that there is some backlight comming on, but no normal start Picture are shown on the screen.
What may the problem be?
Instructions please How to fix this?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It sounds to me, given the symptoms you describe, and also the age in years (about 8 years!) of the device, there could be one of two things wrong with it:
1) your rechargeable battery in the Garmin may have failed. That would produce what you have observed.
or
2) your Garmin as a device may have failed, with age etc., and be 'broken'.
Now as to (1): All rechargeable batteries fail with time enough. And 8 years is certainly enough time for that to happen. They fail to deliver enough voltage and/or enough power, to sustain the device.
If it is only the battery that has failed, then you could prove it beyond doubt, by plugging the AC Adapter, or wall power adapter, or 'charger', into the Garmin device, and then turn it On.
(That is, if the charger does its charging through the Garmin, and is not the type that you remove the batteries from and then put into the charger, separated from the Garmin device.)
If the Garmin device works better, or altogether OK, when powered by the charger, then the battery/batteries need replacing, period.
(If it should unfortunately be the case, that the Garmin is what is 'broken', then it is unquestionably out of warranty, and at 8 years old, repairing it would not be an economical notion, I don't think. Better to get a new one, or a new equivalent to it, in that case.)