Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a imported Toyota Windom with a Japanese GPS in It.

Customer Question

I have a imported Toyota Windom with a Japanese GPS in It. However in the rear of the unit is a place for a disc to be inserted. It appears as though I may be able to change the unit to NZ maps etc. Is this posssible ?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think the first thing to do is to identify
A. the maker name of the GPS
&
B. the model number of the GPS, please.
With that information, we can try to locate the options for the GPS, that might be burned onto a CD, which might be inserted in the GPS, and proper procedures depending upon its maker and model #, done to update it to New Zealand maps instead.
This update would be found online, doubtless.
And, if it has a USB port on it, it might be possible to put the update on a USB flash drive instead, and update it that way.
So all we need is the maker name and the model number, and we can see to that.
(Note: are the controls on the GPS, in Japanese, or in English?)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is Toyota Gsp manufactured by Aisin & co ltd. Serial No 86841-44010. On the screen the words Vics 400m are always there.
The words are in Japanese although the radio stations are in english numerals. No USB
VICS isn't a model nor a maker name... it stands for Vehicle Information & Communication System. It's a sort of road-hazard and route alteration early warning system prevalent in Japan. 400m could be a part of the model number... but I find nothing under that model number in the way of a GPS system. Nor can I identify it from references in Toyota Windom information, which do not specifically identify the GPS aside from its being DVD-based, as we already pretty much know. So you may have to find the manufacturer's label on the GPS in question (unless that's all in Japanese too!) and get the maker and the model number for the GPS off of it. It might be any number of manufacturer's, but '400m' is not going to identify it well enough to find DVD updates for it, at this rate, unfortunately. If the label is in Japanese... well, I can decipher Japanese numerals, so we could get the model number, literally, if nothing else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also gave you the make of the GPS and the serial number. Aisin & Co S/N 86841-44010. can this be traced ?
Serial numbers, if I may explain, are hard to trace the identity of a model of device with. They tend (often) to be less patterned than the model #, and could indicate any model # ***** all.
Actually 86841- appears to be a sort of model number, called a 'product number'. I found two of these listed as auctioned online, but no indication of use to your question otherwise.
I am pursuing research on the basis of that product number... the pages are slow to load, so I am posting this much now. More later, I hope.
This link seems to mention something indicative:
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/79810-sat-nav-not-working-in-nz/
Which indicates something about a NZ disc.
Another page indicates the disc reader is under the passenger's side seat in some models. Slide the tab to the right, then press Eject to eject the current disc... maybe for your type of nav. unit, maybe not.
That's as much as I've found out so far.