Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I have a 1/2 x 1/2 inch black blob on the screen of my Magellan.

Customer Question
The black blog looks like...
I have a 1/2 x 1/2 inch black blob on the screen of my Magellan. The black blog looks like an ink spot with some small offshoots. It is not on the top of the glass, but is underneath. It almost looks like mold. What I can do?
Paul Hockersmith
205 Olde Ashley Drive
Elkton, MD 21921
(XXX) XXX-XXXX [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
6/16/2010
Car Electronics Technician: bluextc89, Small Business Owner replied 8 years ago
bluextc89
bluextc89, Small Business Owner
This is what happens when the LCD screen is damaged.
Here is a larger version - but similar to what you are experiencing.
It can be done by touching too hard - or dropping the unit..

If the unit is no longer under warranty - Magellan will NOT repair it.

graphic

Even if under warranty - it is considered ABUSE, and not a warranteeable repair, and they will charge you for the screen and labor - typically as much or more than a new unit would cost.

It is my suggestion to purchase a new unit (Garmin - they have a flat rate repair service when out of warranty period - and the only company that repairs their product out of warranty) because the cost to repair is close to or more than the cost of a new unit.

Thanks!!