Car Electronics

Car electronics questions? Ask an electronics Expert for answers ASAP

I had my 265wt hooked up to my computer (usb port) for about…

Customer Question
I had my 265wt hooked...
I had my 265wt hooked up to my computer (usb port) for about a week and now it wont turn on.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Car Electronics
6/16/2010
Car Electronics Technician: Andy, Elec & Comp Pro replied 8 years ago
Andy, Elec & Comp Pro
Hi

When did you buy this gps and since when are you facing this issue

two years ago, it was working fine until I tried to charge it.

It is possible that the fuse in the car charger has blown or the car female plug has issue and so its not charging your device. [Sample picture below]

You can confirm this by connecting it to your computer using the USB cord and charing it for 6-7 hours (running computer) and then try to start it.

Also, try to plug in your gps to some other car (using current charger) and see if it works there. If it does, then you know that its your car's issue.

The USB cable will look like this :

graphic

Can you please try this and let me know

Now, if you confirm that your car charger as well as car plug is fine, then your Gps has hardware issues and needs repair. If in warranty Garmin will repair it for free.

Else you will have to send it to Garmin and they will charge you a flat rate to repair the unit for you.
Please click here : LINK on instructions about how to send it for repair.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, that's no help. I have had it plugged in using the usb for a week now and I have tried it in another car. The red light on the cord lights up indicating that it is working.
Hi

The light does not indicate that its working. If the charger is fine then the main board of the gps unit has failed.

You will have to send it to Garmin and they will charge you a flat rate to repair the unit for you.

This happened once before and I called garmin (not open now) and they fixed it over the phone but I can't remember how.